#1 gwiley

gwiley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Framework Version:2.4.4

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:11 AM

I'm using Pagelines Framework with the iBlog Pro 5 child theme. I recently noticed that my site in IE8 will crash the browser if I add any code to the footer.php or the header & footer plugin that launches a JavaScript or if I put a plugin that ads a JavaScript code (like a Google Adsense Ad into a Post).

I also noticed that the IBlog Pro child theme doesn't display properly if viewed in WIn7 IE8 (testing from my PC at work) or in IE9 in IE8 simulated mode (tested by a commission house that was trying to troubleshoot why their JavaScript was crashing).

If I disable iBlog Pro it doesn't crash.

Using latest Framework and latest iBlog Pro 5 (5.2.5).  Latest version of WP (3.5.1)

Example page with issues (any page that is a post should do the same thing, though):

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Thanks in advance,
-g

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15680 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

Hi,

There is no need to edit any of the core files, this is something we do not recommend nor support. If you wish to add Javascript to the theme, then add the code here:

PageLines > Site Options > Custom Code > HeaderScripts

Before you edited the core files such as footer.php etc... did iBlogPro 5 crash ?

Would it be possible for you to provide the javascript that is causing the crash and also enable PageLines debug mode.

PageLines > Site Options > Advanced > Debug.

#3 gwiley

gwiley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

I put the code in footer.php as a troubleshooting measure, before I used a third party plugin called headers and footers.  I just placed it in the footers section using your above suggestion with the same results.

Before I edited the core file footer.php iBlogPro did not crash.

Here is a javascript that is having an issue, but so is the Google AdSense one and the InfoLinks one.  Seems any JavaScript that I add is having an issue.  The three that are having problems are ones that monetize my site.

<script type="text/javascript" src="

"></script>

I already have Pagelines Debug mode enabled.
be sure to use /funreviewsnet after my domain name.  I have the site offline while I'm working on it, it is not configured to be the default site in the root directory right now.

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15680 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Hi,

As I mentioned above, we do not recommend editing the core files nor we do provide support when users have. You mention yourself that before editing the core files, iBlogPro didn't crash.

When you say you edited the footer.php file, I assume you're referring to the footer.php file in PageLines Framework ?

#5 gwiley

gwiley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

OK.

I added javascript code via a plugin called "header and footer".  The browser crashes

Upon suggestion from a vendor's support team, they wanted me to try to add it via the footer.php.  I did to appease them, the browser crashes.

Using your recommendation (PageLines > Site Options > Custom Code >) I added it to the footer section.  Browser crashes.

If I remove the javascript the browser does not crash.  If I disable the theme, the browser does not crash.

I also noticed that the iBlog theme isn't displaying correctly on IE8.  I used a PC at work (WIn7 IE8), my brother's PC (XP x64 IE8) and one of the affiliate houses used Win7 IE9 in IE8 compatibility mode.  I see none of these issues on Firefox or Chrome.  However, I see a LOT of visitors using IE so I can't ignore the issue.  :)

Thanks,

-gw

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:51 AM

Hi there

IBlog uses css3, a majority of which isn't supported by IE8 unfortunately, things like border-radius, gradients etc, so it will look different to the standard layout. The gradients might default to a block color, the rounded corners will be square etc.  

There's a thread which will explain the css3/ie debate in more depth here

I've pasted your script in to the standard framework and yes, it does break the site layout. You'll need to talk to the script author to see if they can offer an edit or a workaround to get it to work as intended.