Photo
- - - - -

Translation issues

translation translate customize languages split

Best Answer Danny , 26 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hi Christian,

I have successfully translated parts of my test site into Danish using the exported language from the Translation Centre. Here is what I did.

First of all you were missing the .mo, you need to go to the Translation Center and export the file as a .po which you already have and as a .mo. I called the files the following:

da_DK.mo
da_DK.po

I then uploaded these files to /wp-content/plugins/pagelines-customise/language/

Then I opened the wp-config.php file and where:

define('WPLANG', '');

I changed to this:

define('WPLANG', 'da_DK');

I then cleared by browsers cache, and parts of the site were translated (see image below and the search filed label) which is no longer "Search" but "Søg".

Also, on your PL Debug mode info, you have the following:

PHP Open basedir restriction : Yes!  <=== This can cause PHP to refude to open certain files.

PHP Magic Quotes gpc : Yes (bad)  <=== This has been completely removed as of PHP version 5.4

I recommend you contact your host and ask them to resolve the open_basefir and to upgrade your PHP, so magic quotes is removed.
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 loiborg

loiborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hi forum!

I am trying to have the PageLines theme framework translated into Danish. Therefore I have downloaded the current translation from the translations center page. I have also downloaded and activated the PageLines Customize plugin from the PageLines framework. There were no 'languages' folder in that theme, so I've added it (which makes the path /wp-content/plugins/pagelines-

customize/languages)

I've added the language .po-file which was exported using the site. I've renamed it to 'da_DK.po'. It still doesn't work - what am I doing wrong? (the site isn't very clear on this, unfortunately).

I also saw that on the page, where PageLines announced the translation feature (*), there was a suggestion to split translations between front- and back end. How is this done? The progress in the Danish translation is very low and it doesn't make sense to translate the back end, as every Dane speaks English.

Furthermore I've added a bunch of translations, but they seem to need to be approved. I have a journalism degree, so my Danish is flawless. Can I somehow approve them? (it doesn't seem like there are a lot of Danes using PageLines - at least there's not a lot using the translation framework). Furthermore, how do I make sure that the translations I have already made (but hasn't been approved yet) are included in the downloaded file?

(*)

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Thanks in advance!

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13234 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

Hi,

Although I am no expert in translating, our documentation on translating, which you can be found here - 

One thing I noticed in your post above is that you do not mention changing the language in the wp-config.php file?

#3 loiborg

loiborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Hi Ninja,

Thanks for the quick reply. It should already be set to the correct language as I'm using the official translated version of Wordpress in Danish.

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4995 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

Hi there, I see in another post you've managed to get the translation sorted and installed. Let us know if its ok to resolve this thread and continue conversations on the other post etc.

#5 loiborg

loiborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

Hi there, I see in another post you've managed to get the translation sorted and installed. Let us know if its ok to resolve this thread and continue conversations on the other post etc.

Uhm, nope? You must mistake me for some one else - I haven't found out what to do :)

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13234 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

The folder needs to be called "language" and not "languages" like you have. Please try that and let us know if this resolves the issue.

#7 loiborg

loiborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Now the path is wp-content/plugins/pagelines-customize/language/da_DK.po - doesn't seem to work.

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13234 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

Can you provide the following please.

A link to the site in question.

Enable PageLines debug - PageLines > Site Options > Debug

Disable all non-PageLines plugins

#9 loiborg

loiborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

Hi Danny,

Unfortunately I can't do that. The site is not live (using a maintenance plugin) and I can't set it live until it's ready.

I could set up a user for you - would that work? I don't want to post the URL here since I don't want the topic to end up on search engines when searching for the domain name.

I have now enabled the debug.

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

Hi,

Danny's not in today, so I've sent him a message alerting him to your question.

#11 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13234 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

@loiborg,

Can you send me all the files you're using please, so I can attempt to translate my test site, also, in the email can you enable PageLines debug and take a screenshot of all the settings.

Email me at danny at pagelines dot com

#12 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13234 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:54 AM   Best Answer

Hi Christian,

I have successfully translated parts of my test site into Danish using the exported language from the Translation Centre. Here is what I did.

First of all you were missing the .mo, you need to go to the Translation Center and export the file as a .po which you already have and as a .mo. I called the files the following:

da_DK.mo
da_DK.po

I then uploaded these files to /wp-content/plugins/pagelines-customise/language/

Then I opened the wp-config.php file and where:

define('WPLANG', '');

I changed to this:

define('WPLANG', 'da_DK');

I then cleared by browsers cache, and parts of the site were translated (see image below and the search filed label) which is no longer "Search" but "Søg".

Also, on your PL Debug mode info, you have the following:

PHP Open basedir restriction : Yes!  <=== This can cause PHP to refude to open certain files.

PHP Magic Quotes gpc : Yes (bad)  <=== This has been completely removed as of PHP version 5.4

I recommend you contact your host and ask them to resolve the open_basefir and to upgrade your PHP, so magic quotes is removed.

#13 loiborg

loiborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

Hi Danny,

You are absolutely correct, I was missing the .mo - don't know how I missed that. Thanks a lot for the time and great answer!

I will definitely contact my host about the PHP-stuff - thanks for the heads up and the links!

In the first post in this thread I asked about front end translation only - is this possible?

I also saw that on the page, where PageLines announced the translation feature (*), there was a suggestion to split translations between front- and back end. How is this done? The progress in the Danish translation is very low and it doesn't make sense to translate the back end, as every Dane speaks English.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: translation, translate, customize, languages, split