17 replies to this topic

#1 jlsc

jlsc

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Framework Version:Platform Pro

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

Hi there,

I am having an issue with the layout editor in my settings.

When I click on a layout in "configure layout dimmensions," the dimension boxes disapear and I'm only left with the option to "reset layout to default."

When I refresh this settings page, the abilty to change the dimmesions returns, although it doesn't reflect what the site is currently set to (or the layout option I choose in the above "Default Layout Mode."

My goal is to choose a different layout and be able to alter the dimensions, but I'm unable to actually ever get these options to appear and take effect. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

Jess

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Are you using Platform (the free version) or PlatformPro?

#3 jlsc

jlsc

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:51 AM

PlatformPro.

Thanks.

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:07 AM

Hi Jess, are you using the latest editions of Platform Pro and Wordpress? If not, update.

Please try deactivating all third party plugins, then clear your browser cache and then check the layout editor again. This sounds like a plugin conflict unfortunately. If you find this works and the editor comes back, you'll need to go through switching each plugin on one by one to see which one is effecting the layout.

#5 jlsc

jlsc

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Hey James,

Thanks for the response. I've made sure both PlatformPro and WP are updated. I've also deactivated all plugins, but unfortunately that hasn't solved the issue.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again.

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:12 AM

Hmmmm, have you added any scripts or codes into the header/footer areas? Can you screenshot what you're seeing in the admin area for us.

There's something showing up in the script called 'addthis', do you know what that is? Its an added script of some form, not saying it's connected to this but its throwing an error.

#7 jlsc

jlsc

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hey James.

"Add This" is a plugin I reactived after deactiving all of them didn't solve it. I deactivated it again though.

Here are some screengrabs. The first I what I see when I go into layout editor. Note that the layouts that are displayed are correct, although the dimmensions are not what my site is set to (nor are these the dimmensions I'm seeking. They're just randomly populating.)

http://makeanddogirl...reen-Shot-1.jpg

Then I select a new layout from "Default Layouts." When I choose the some layout "Configure Layout Dimmensions," all the options to adjust the size of the columns go away. If I refresh the page, sometimes I'm able to get back to square one (the first screengrab), but then the whole situation repeats itself.

http://makeanddogirl...reen-Shot_2.jpg

Thanks again for your help.

Jess

#8 jlsc

jlsc

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

PS. I don't believe I've added any scripts or codes in the header or footer. I'm quite a novice, so unless I did it accidentally, I propably havent. Ha.

#9 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

Hi Jess,

Strange... not seen that before. If you could set up an admin level user for us, we'll log in and take a look to see if we can see whats happening first hand for you. If you do want to do this please DM me the username/password, don't paste in the forum etc.

If you hover over my name in the forum, you'll be able to go to my profile and send me a DM.

#10 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Hi Jess

We've been trying to re-create this and have had no luck, the only thing we can think is maybe something inside the core was corrupted on update.

Could you try installing a new version of Platform Pro from your launchpad account at www.pagelines.com > your products and see if the new copy resolves this problem.

#11 jlsc

jlsc

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

Hey James,

Thanks for the update. I think we're making progress! I am now able to choose a new layout without the dimmension options disapearing. I've selected the one with one main column (668 px) and one sidebar to the right (300 px).

Now I'm wondering why that "secondary sidebar" message is appearing instead just one sidebar that's 300 px wide. (http://makeanddogirl.com/) Am I doing something incorrectly or is that still a function of the previous issue?

Thanks again!

#12 jlsc

jlsc

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

A little more info:

It seems as if the settings aren't saving. When I choose a different layout, such as two sidebars on the left, save it and reload the site, the layout doesn't change. I'm clearing my cache every time.

#13 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

Hi Jess, that's great news that the layout editor is staying put. I heard back from our developer and he said that somehow it was using an old copy of javascript, but reinstalling should correct that, and it looks like it did.

Ok now we've got that one resolved, try disabling the plugins again and see if that now corrects the layout saving and the sidebar issue. Make sure you have widget set up in the secondary sidebar.

#14 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

To complement what my good colleague James said, leave Akismet activated (if using it), and any cache plugin.  Everything else should be deactivated.  When plugins are not well maintained by their developers, somethings they do all sorts of strange things to PlatformPro (or any other product).  I've experienced this myself, so I'm painfully sympathetic.  I found it was two plugins that individually worked fine, but collectively made a mess (kind of like my kids used to do).

Hope this helps!

#15 jlsc

jlsc

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

Hey James and Rob,

Thanks again for the help.

All plugins were actually still deactivated from our previous attempts. (Although, I have reactivated Akismet, thanks to your go ahead, Rob.)

Any other thoughts?

James, when you say make sure I have a widget in the secondary sidebar, I'm not sure what you mean. I'm trying to get rid of that sidebar so I only have my main content area and one additional sidebar to the right.

Thanks!

Jess

#16 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

Hi Jess

I've just spoken to the developer and we've had another look. We can see the correct file in there now so the update has gone through. However, there's still something amiss in there, as some of the icons are only showing the pagelines leaf. We're unable to see what else is causing this.

Unfortunately the best option seems to be, backup the site and the platform settings to your computer. Then fresh install wordpress and platform, so everything back to the default. Then test the setup and then re-import your content and settings.

At this point i should say it would be wise to consider upgrading at some point in the future to the new Pagelines Framework. Unfortunately Platform is now a deprecated product and no longer receiving updates, so as time goes on you could notice more and more things begin to go wrong with the site.

If you are interested in upgrading get in contact with our main email address and we'll see if there are any discounts are available for existing users.

#17 jlsc

jlsc

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Hey James,

I'll see if a complete reinstall works and let you know.

Can you check about discounts to upgrate to the new framework for me please? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Jess

#18 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

Hi Jess

Sure I'll DM you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Platform Pro, Layout Editor