Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • 0

How to edit footer title


Question

Posted · Report post

Hi

 

I am not sure why but the footer titles on the front page of my site are different to the footer titles on the rest of the site:

 

www.globalwaterforum.org

 

Does anyone know why this is?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hmm thats interesting, it doesn't look like the feature slider uses and styles its own h1 tags for the text inside the slider, this shouldn't affect the rest of the page though.

 

You wouldn't have put any custom/page specific css in for the slider that might have affected the rest of the homepage in error?

 

It seems to have resolved now, i don't see any <small> tags in the footer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

So I found out that it is the feature slider that is causing the footer code to change - any ideas why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Hi James

 

Yes thanks it turned out to be something occuring with the slider and the w3total cache plugin - I have disabled total cache and changed the slider and its all fine now :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Thanks, sorry I should have been clearer - Dragonfly is the Opera version of firebug - I used it to identify the code which is different on the homepage to the footers on the other pages.

 

I think the Pagelines framework is much better and will allow some more interesting site designs I am just frustrated as it has made changes I didn't foresee and cannot understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Apologies for my misunderstanding.  I only have Opera in active use on my mobile.

 

This will sound odd, but I promise it's sincerely true.  Most of the plugin conflicts are not with PageLines itself.  More of them are conflicts with things that PageLines uses like Javascript or jQuery, or with other plugins. When these happen, they always seem to manifest in some way that makes it appear that PageLines is involved. This is why we usually guide people to turn off the plugins for testing purposes.

 

I'm totally confident in saying that even if you used a default theme, a plugin conflict can cause serious issues.

 

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience. I hope you can find an opportunity to deactivate the plugins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Hi Chris,

 

Inspecting the site, I found that on the homepage, the titles you speak about are affected by this snippet of code:

h3 small {
    font-size: 18.2px;
}

Somehow, the HTML is equally changed. Here, for example, is the Disclaimer code for the homepage:

<h3 class="widget-title"><small>
<small>
<small>Disclaimer</small>
</small>
</small>
</h3>
<div class="textwidget">
<small>
<small>
<small>© 2013 Global Water Forum The authors are responsible for the choice and presentation of views contained in this website and for opinions expressed therein, which are not necessarily those of UNESCO and do not commit the Organization.</small>
</small>
</small>
</div>
</div>
</div>

 

Whilst the other pages show this:

<div class="pp5 footcol">
<div class="footcol-pad">
<h3 class="widget-title">Disclaimer</h3>
<div class="textwidget">© 2013 Global Water Forum The authors are responsible for the choice and presentation of views contained in this website and for opinions expressed therein, which are not necessarily those of UNESCO and do not commit the Organization.</div>
</div>
</div>

It seems this is coming from the text widget.  I'd recommend deactivating all non-PageLines plugins except Akismet (if you're using it) and any cache plugin (but clear the plugin's cache).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Hi Rob

 

Thanks for that, I see the problem in dragonfly but I can't understand why it came about. I can't deactivate all of the plugins they are essential to the working of the site. Since I have updated from Platform Pro it seems that there has been one problem after another

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Chris,

 

When I have the problem of not wishing to interrupt my site's operations, what I do is find out what the lowest period of traffic is during the day.  There's lots of potential sources for this info, but the best is your site stats (if using cPanel, probably in Webalizer).  Ask your host what kind of stats are available.

 

Then, I just do my work during the least trafficked period of the day. This may sound crazy, but I found that for about an hour or so during the middle of the night, the only visits to my site were by bots, giving me sufficient time to do my work.  The bots don't care if the plugins are active, only that the site is, so I experienced no loss of SEO standing.

 

I'm not sure what Dragonfly does, but deactivating the plugins for a few minutes testing at an off-peak period would help immensely. You should also check the source of your plugins to make sure each is up to date with WordPress' current version. This helps alot, even if you can't deactivate all of them.

 

Meanwhile, I'd contact the developer of Dragonfly and ask them for their input.

 

I'm sorry to read of your troubles since upgrading.  We're here to help with any issues as best we can.  Please don't hesitate to open topics for your issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites