Photo
- - - - -

What is the difference between the Banner and Hero Unit?

Best Answer Danny , 25 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

Hi,

Although similar, the Banners and Hero section are two separate sections and are meant to be used in completely different methods, so not sure how they can cause confusion. They're both called different names and do have different styling.

The Banners section is a text and image and is a great way to show your sites content, usually this section is used in tours.

The Hero section is a responsive, full width section with a simple headline and call to action. Whose primary aim is to focus your visitors onto your featured content, with the call to action used to direct traffic to any destination.

Can they be used in a similar style or method, yes of course. However, I could do the same thing in 10minutes with the PageLines Grid and some basic HTML, that doesn't mean we should remove both sections. So the Banners and Hero sections are similar but are primary used for different aspects of a users site.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sidianmsjones

sidianmsjones

• Members

• 185 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

The only one I see is that the Hero Unit allows for a button. Seems it would be less confusing to just do away with the Banner? Or perhaps even to consolidate multiple sections into one or more much more versatile sections.

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15891 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:06 AM   Best Answer

Hi,

Although similar, the Banners and Hero section are two separate sections and are meant to be used in completely different methods, so not sure how they can cause confusion. They're both called different names and do have different styling.

The Banners section is a text and image and is a great way to show your sites content, usually this section is used in tours.

The Hero section is a responsive, full width section with a simple headline and call to action. Whose primary aim is to focus your visitors onto your featured content, with the call to action used to direct traffic to any destination.

Can they be used in a similar style or method, yes of course. However, I could do the same thing in 10minutes with the PageLines Grid and some basic HTML, that doesn't mean we should remove both sections. So the Banners and Hero sections are similar but are primary used for different aspects of a users site.

#3 sidianmsjones

sidianmsjones

• Members

• 185 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

Surely it can't be that hard to see why I would make this comparison...

by7w2H1.png

mAaVoG9.png

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15891 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

OK, well below is the Hero section, Banner section and PageLines Grid in action using the same title, text and image.

Hero - 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Banner - 

Grid - 

The Hero and Banners do not lookalike in my opinion. However, if you feel that the two are too similar or confusing, simply deactivate one and keep the other active.

#5 sidianmsjones

sidianmsjones

• Members

• 185 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

A bit of different styling and a button I suppose. But yeah, I can make use of both I'm sure. I think Pagelines has consolidated sections in the past by simply adding more options to one (Boxes/SoapBoxes I believe?), so I thought it may be helpful to point out how similar these two are, and that they could also be consolidated by simply giving one a couple more options.

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15891 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

We appreciate the feedback and I myself can see the similarities. However, I think its highly unlikely that they will be consolidated, as they're supposed to be used for different aspects of your sites design. Also the Banners section is a PageLines concept whereas the Hero is Bootstrap. 

We could also say the same for the Branding and BrandNav sections, both are identical in addition to a few style changes and options. I feel that having the variety and allowing the user to choose is a much safer and simpler option than consolidation of sections. When developing PageLines Framework, we took the feedback from Platform Pro into consideration and the majority of users were overwhelmed and confused by the number of options available for color/style contro. So consolidating two sections together, increasing the number of options available, will lead to more of the same in my opinion.

#7 eazygoing

eazygoing

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Hi,

Can I change the text size in a hero?