Photo
- - - - -

Difference between Sidebar Options (and Menu Question)

sidebar universal sidebar full width sidebar primary sidebar secondary sidebar

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sugarshoots

sugarshoots

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:17 AM

I was wondering if there is any documentation that I've somehow overlooked that explains the difference between the sidebar options (Primary, Secondary, Tertiary, Universal, Full Width, Content)

I checked out this page (

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

), but it doesn't seem to fully answer my question (what's the difference between the universal and full width sidebars, etc.)

Also, how do we get a drop down on a secondary nav bar, is that an option?

Site: [link removed]

Thanks so much!

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

Hi Sugarshoots

There's no documentation on the different names for the sidebar sections, the names related to where/how they can display in the site.

Primary, Secondary, Tertiary are the three main vertical sidebars which display information alongside the content-area in the page.

Full width and Universal are two horizontal full width sidebars which can span the full width of the page.

The Content Sidebar is a horizontal sidebar which goes inside and spans the full width of the content-area on the template.

The secondary nav doesn't support drop downs unfortunately.

• pmmyers likes this

#3 sugarshoots

sugarshoots

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Thanks so much for the clarification, James!

#4 sugarshoots

sugarshoots

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

I guess an add-on to the Secondary Nav question - I can't seem to get it to link properly. I made a secondary nav based on blog post categories in Appearance > Menus just pulling from the categories listed on the left side and then activated it on the blog page by going to Pagelines > Page Options > Page Setup and then under "Select Secondary Nav Menu" chose the menu I just made. It is then showing up on the blog page as colored text, but the links are not active (it seems to have a different page alignment on different computers, too). You can't click the menu. 

Do I need to make a categories Page for each menu item or what step am I missing?

#5 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Can you please post a link to your site?

#6 sugarshoots

sugarshoots

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, sorry - 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Secondary Nav is intended as a supplement to the primary navigation. 

So, if you have a main menu link taking you to a page - let's say - Soups.  On that page, you can use the soups secondary nav providing more specific links for soups only.   It is best used to supplement specific pages because you select the menu from PageLines Meta Settings on a page-by-page basis.  You can also select from Page Options in the dashboard, but that's not the best method because it limits you to one secondary nav menu per template.  It's very limiting that way.

It's not meant to provide a supplemental menu overall.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sidebar, universal sidebar, full width sidebar, primary sidebar, secondary sidebar