Photo
PostPins

PostPins excerpt length, metabar & link

Best Answer James B , 01 March 2013 - 03:33 AM

Hi Suerama

I've heard back from our Community Manager who's logged this suggestion for the excerpts to be included and an option to switch off the hellip in Post pins. At the current time its not something they could commit to immediately, but if enough people asked for this feature then it could well make its way into a future update :-)

In the meantime I've been advised that the hellip can be removed using css as it has it's own class.

Unfortunately there's still no easy option to edit the amount of words that postpins displays as this is set in the core code of the product. The only way around this would be to create a child section with the modifications inside to get the correct amount of words in you require (if you're confident with php/css you might be able to do this yourself), or maybe look into getting one of the Pagelines Pros to create a custom section for you so you could chose the required settings for each option.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 suerama

suerama

Advocate

• Members

• 260 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

I want my entire short blog posts to appear on my client's PostPins Blog page.

1. How do I control the excerpt length in the postpins blog area? In Site Options>Blog and Posts, I've set my excerpt length at 1,000 characters. I've checked off the Posts/Blog Page for Full Post Content. I've tried copying my entire article into the Excerpt field of each published post, but the excerpts are still cut short.  

2. Is there a way for me to break the link from the PostPins titles to the post while still allowing the feed?

3. I've eliminated all the metabar data on my posts and post clips. But it all remains on the postpins. How do I eliminate it there?

URL:  http://clientdev2.ra...et/?page_id=276

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

Hi there,

1) The Postpin section is set to show the first 25 words, there's no options to edit this in the meta settings unfortunately. I've found a previous thread which offers a coding solution, please see - http://www.pagelines...rpt#entry131201

2) The only workaround I can think of is to set the title/link to display:none using css. Otherwise you would have to clone the postpins section and edit the code to suit, removing the part where the link is referenced and thus creating your own custom section, which you could upload to your site. We wouldn't be able to support that option though unfortunately.

3) You would need to hide this using css, these are options coded into the section, its not using the information from the blogs and posts area of Pagelines>site options>

#3 suerama

suerama

Advocate

• Members

• 260 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

I'm not sure what would be the result should I make the suggested work around, but I'd sure like to try it. However, I don't know how to follow these instructions:

The only workaround I can think of is to set the title/link to display:none using css

I've looked in firebug but I'm not seeing anything like the title/link. (I'm just starting to get my legs in css.)

Could you please offer a little more instruction?

Also, is there an area where I could request that the PostPins developer add the ability to specify the excerpt length? 

#4 mackenzie

mackenzie

Advocate

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Do you have FireFox with FireBug installed? This will help with narrowing down where/what the CSS is needed.

#5 suerama

suerama

Advocate

• Members

• 260 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Yes, as I wrote above:

I've looked in firebug but I'm not seeing anything like the title/link. (I'm just starting to get my legs in css.)

Could you please offer a little more instruction?

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:12 AM

Hi Suerama

As postpins is a core product I will pass your suggestion on to the core developer team for you :-)

When looking in firebug and inspecting the title of the post pin area you should see an area in the html called pin title.

http://screencast.com/t/i9bvgv59

Using this class you can set the title to not display using the css command display:none. For more information this command see http://www.w3schools..._visibility.asp

This will hide the title and the therefore the link, you can then retype the text into the content area of each post so it looks like a title.

#7 suerama

suerama

Advocate

• Members

• 260 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

Thanks for agreeing to pass on the suggestion. How can I find out if that has been implemented? Will there be an update announcement somewhere?

As to the display:none, while I could make the headline disappear, that didn't actually address my issue of the truncated text on the postpins page. In fact I'd been using the headlines to cheat the 25 word extract maximum of the text. So I'll just wait to see if the developer can extend that minimum.

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:31 AM

Hi there, anything that was placed into a future update would be announced via the product changelog on the next update (http://www.pagelines...lines-postpins/). Once I've spoken to them tomorrow I'll come back to you with their response.

Yes hiding the title will prevent the link being visible but won't affect the text being truncated unfortunately, that figure is set in the core files of the section.

#9 suerama

suerama

Advocate

• Members

• 260 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Thank you.

By the way, I eliminated the meta info in Postpins by setting the font size to 0.  Not elegant, but it works.

#10 suerama

suerama

Advocate

• Members

• 260 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

When you speak with the developers, since my intention is to have full brief articles on the PostPins page, is there a way for me to eliminate the: [...] , at the end of the "excerpt"?

#11 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

Hi Suerama, i've not heard back from them yet, but i'll keep you posted. I would imagine that the ... is only adding to show there is more to the post, if you're able to get the full content in there then this wouldn't display. I'll check for you though.

#12 suerama

suerama

Advocate

• Members

• 260 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

Hi James, 

Actually the [...] appears even when the entire post is in the excerpt. So, yes, I would appreciate you're efforts to speak with the developers about that aspect as well.

Thanks!

#13 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:33 AM   Best Answer

Hi Suerama

I've heard back from our Community Manager who's logged this suggestion for the excerpts to be included and an option to switch off the hellip in Post pins. At the current time its not something they could commit to immediately, but if enough people asked for this feature then it could well make its way into a future update :-)

In the meantime I've been advised that the hellip can be removed using css as it has it's own class.

Unfortunately there's still no easy option to edit the amount of words that postpins displays as this is set in the core code of the product. The only way around this would be to create a child section with the modifications inside to get the correct amount of words in you require (if you're confident with php/css you might be able to do this yourself), or maybe look into getting one of the Pagelines Pros to create a custom section for you so you could chose the required settings for each option.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PostPins