Slider responsive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 balfred1345

balfred1345

• Members

• 117 posts
  • LocationFlyover Country, USA
  • Framework Version:Some sites Pagelines Framework (latest version), some sites DMS latest version

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hi,
I've got a static image placed next to a small JW Rotator slider (from Next Gen Gallery). This forms a block of images directly below the main navbar and is sitewide. When loaded in iOS (and I'm guessing any small screen) the JW Rotator drops down to the next block, and the image stays up top where it should be. Is it possible to write CSS that will keep the image and the JW Rotator together, and shrink them down responsively as needed on small screens? This can be viewed at seasonshospice.org

Here's the CSS I'm using right now:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer!

Best,
Bruce

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Since JW Rotator is a 3rd party solution, I'm not sure what would be the best approach when it comes to adjusting it for small devices, but you should make sure that disable mobile view in Layout Editor is not checked.

#3 balfred1345

balfred1345

• Members

• 117 posts
  • Framework Version:Some sites Pagelines Framework (latest version), some sites DMS latest version

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Thanks Catrina!

I checked, and I've not disabled mobile view.

Perhaps I should change sliders? Do you know of a PL slider that is easily adjustable and responsive that you might recommend? I know there are several in the store...

Thanks again,

Bruce

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Feature slider is actually responsive in mobile view (please see:

). I would recommend using Feature slider instead :)... or even Quickslider.

#5 balfred1345

balfred1345

• Members

• 117 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

Hi,

I've been trying all afternoon/evening to get Quickslider to float right, and Content Box to float left on the same line.

While it works in Firebug, it doesn't "stick", as something seems to be overriding it, even though I've given it the !important.

Can you please take a look at this page: 

The image is the two put together on the left, the Quickslider is on the right, with the slideshow turned off for now. 

I haven't yet figured out how to get rid of the Quickslider outline yet either.

Here's the CSS i'm using to style both the Content Box and the Quickslider:

I'd greatly appreciate any help you can offer!

Thanks,

Bruce

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

Hi Bruce,

The quickslider will want to fill the available space of the section automatically, so what you're trying to achieve in the above example is going to be tricky to set. Each slide has its own inline css set and there's various containers inside the slider which would all need to be set to the reduced width in order for that to work.

I think the easiest option to create that layout would be to use the 'grid' system from the Pagelines Tools page along with the shortcode activated slider (also on the tools page).

Use the grid to create two columns at the chosen span. In the left hand column put the shortcode slider, in the right you can enter your text/html directly, not need for the contentbox.

#7 balfred1345

balfred1345

• Members

• 117 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

Thanks so much James! I'll give that a try. I checked out the Pagelines Tools page, and think I can figure out how to use the [pl_carousel] shortcode given the example. But... can you tell me how (or point me to an example) to set the slide duration and transition type (ie fade instead of slide left) in shortcode?

Thanks,

Bruce

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

Hi Bruce,

The transitions are actually controlled by css. So using firebug and editing the code you'll be able to effect the effects on the slider. An example of how it is currently set is below, you'll see the transition applied in the last line.

This post might be able to help you further -

A full list of css3 transitions can be found here -

Don't forget transitions use different css prefixes depending on the browser, so you'll need to add the full cross browser code to make sure it works the same in each one. Examples of the cross browser code can be found on the above link as well :-) 

#9 balfred1345

balfred1345

• Members

• 117 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for your help. I've almost got it working with the grid as suggested above. 

But, I've got a big problem that I can not figure out. 

Pointing the mouse over the Bootstrap carousel image causes it to stop or go blank.

I'm assuming that this is due to the fact that although I took out the left and right advance buttons in CSS, they still remain in HTML as shown:

This is in the HTML that must be generated by the functionality built into PL and Bootstrap, since I didn't write it. Since I didn't write it, I don't know how to take it out.

Could you please look at 

and help me to get this final bug out of my implementation?

Thanks very much,

Bruce

#10 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

Hi Bruce

Ok in that case instead of using the pl-shortcodes for the slider, try entering the core bootstrap html minus the navigation links, as seen in

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Slider, responsive