7 replies to this topic

#1 fpcas9431

fpcas9431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Good Day;

I am creating a separate page for Blog and Blog post. I have gone through the docs however this is my question.

I create a New Page: When I go to the left to assign it a template I have the options of Template's 1-5 (I've adapted these and left 5 of this) however When I go to Drag and Drop page there is appears to be a template for Blog and one for Blog Post. I cannot however select these...did I miss something in the process?

BEst

F

www.newsite.thetradinglab.com

#2 Martin Davies

Martin Davies

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 2454 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hello Frank 

Could you take a screenshot of the Drag and drop page and paste it here so we can take a closer look for you? 

#3 fpcas9431

fpcas9431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Hello There I am trying to include screen shots of View Page set up along with Drag and Drop for Default and Template. It's a small file but system won't let me upload it no matter what I do. Any smaller is going to be useless to you. Suggestions?

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hi,

The Blog and Blog Page templates found in Drag & Drop are special templates which may have additional sections added to them.  The Blog template controls your blog listings, whilst the Blog Page template is the one used to structure each post you create. They cannot be used as templates when creating custom pages. This is why you see Templates 1 to 5 in the drop down.

If you create a static blog, the page created will use any template you may use, but the blog portion of the page is controlled by the blog template.  Since posts are not created using templates as pages, they use the blog page template automatically. 

Let's say you want to add something like boxes over the blog or a carousel under your posts, you can simply drag & drop those sections into those templates.The same applies to other special page templates like Category, and Archives, etc.   I hope this clarifies it for you.  If you have any other questions, please let us know.

#5 fpcas9431

fpcas9431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

It helps but I am still in the visual and creation stage, and really am unsure of how to tag/create the pages initially. I found a 8 page document in Pagelines that outlines the setup so that's done. I've created a master page called Blog and three child pages I would like to post under...and then...I'm stuck:

Is there a video tutorial that will walk me through this. The 8 pager is fine for set up of those macro's: But I don't see, can't find anything that helps me create a page, type it out, set it up, post it: and watch the magic...if you know what I mean. Pagelines seems to have a video on each of its sections...not on Blog?

BEst

F

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:51 AM

Hi Frank

We do have some video tutorials available here, 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

but they were on a previous edition so some of the menu names might have changed.

When you create your blog page, all you need to do is create a blank page and call it blog, no content on it or anything etc. This blank page will be overridden by the blog template when you choose it in settings>reading. So in order to set up your blog page with the sections and features you want to appear on it, you'll need to do this in the drag and drop page. Place all the items you want to appear in the blog template on the drag and drop. Then when you can set the various meta options for these sections in Pagelines>Page options>Blog page.

#7 fpcas9431

fpcas9431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hello there is no Blog tutorial there; There is a multiblog but really doesn't describe and walk through set up and creating content, links, pages et al...

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

Hi,

It's not advisable to create child blog pages.  Being that Wordpress adds posts to the special page, all subsequent pages show up dynamically and shouldn't be manually created.  That might actually do more harm than good.

This link explains how to create a blog page, officially, from WordPress.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blog, blog post, blog templates