Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

postpins and image scaling

Question

Posted · Report post

okay, so attached is a  copy of results from google speed test w and w/out postpins.

here: http://www.pagelines.com/store/sections/pagelines-postpins/

on the page linked above you will see the following convo:

QUESTION: "Holy cow - this plugin serve scaled images - NOT thumbnail size NOT Medium size BUT Full resolution so I have a page that loads a few MB now?

Page load time: 3.53s

Total page size: 9.03MB

Total number of requests: 46

Websites worked like this 12 years ago - set it to use thumbnails as default or Medium size at leats (sic)."

RESPONSE: "Thanks for informing us this issue has been resolved."

This was 6 months ago. I got the plugin 6 weeks ago. The images that various speed tests have cited are ALL of the images that are used by postpins vis a vis the attached.

So, no, the issue has not been resolved. There is a problem w jquery strings, and also w image scaling. This renders postpins virtually worthless for a large dynamic site. Please advise.

p.s.--i love you guys and pagelines rocks!

post-45885-0-76070800-1361312741_thumb.p

12 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi Suzy, there was a post in between those two, the client said

"I've figured this out - but have to re-assign new thumbnails for featured images."

So if you set the featured image at the new resolution, it will pull through from there :-)

Posted · Report post

Hi James! We have to stop meeting like this!

Okay, I get that, BUT...all kinds of doohickeys use the featured image thumbnail. grrrrrrrrrrr.

I found THIS on another post, should I go ahead and use it? Is it better? Because I'm going to be using jillions of images.

http://paste.pagelines.com/4r0

Posted · Report post

I thought postpins was updated to use the smaller thumbnails?

Posted · Report post

Apparently not, though my research  said that it had been. But, nope. Sure would be nice. : - )

Posted · Report post

Suzy, I'll check on this tomorrow when everyone's in and give you an update as soon as i know more :-)

Posted · Report post

thanks, james!

Posted · Report post

Hey Suzy,

I checked back on the product info after seeing Simon's comment on the update. If you look in the meta settings for postpins, there's now a drop down option to be able to select where the images are pulled from. Screenshot attached :-)

http://screencast.com/t/XbUO7DZt

If you want to edit the dimensions of any of these sizes you can do so in Settings>media from the Wp admin area.

Posted · Report post

hi! yeah, no, that field, i don't see it. i see it on your screencast...but i can't find it in my admin.

post-45885-0-18837600-1361329954_thumb.p

Posted · Report post

same thing with site defaults. not there.

Posted · Report post

Thanks, James, that worked. Why is everything so utterly disconnected? This cost me 4 hours.

Posted · Report post

Glad that worked for you Suzy :-)

Obviously it takes us time to diagnose whats happening and look into a solution for you. But now we know the cause now and you now know you can update the plus plugins through the dashboard :-)