Photo

meta confusion: page templates vs. content area

Best Answer pdean , 06 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

James B,

Postloop for the win! That was the key -- why was that so difficult for me to find on my own? I've been looking for days, and never saw anywhere that Postloop was the content area in question. At any rate...

Thank you, thank you! For the answer, and for your patience and perseverance.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pdean

pdean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

I've read the docs, I've consulted the fora, but I still can't get the setup figured out.

Why are there different options, in Template Setup, for the page template area and the content area? For example, why is Content an available section in the former but not the latter?

Can I only have one set of boxes in the page template area? I can't clone with the Lite Edition, as far as I can tell.

I have two box sets. Both are active. One is shown as active in the page template area, the other in the content area. But only one is visible. How do I use two sets on the same page?

My site isn't published yet, but if it helps I can navigate someone to it.

Thanks

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Hi PDean 

The Page template area is a full width section above the content area. The content area is the area which nestles alongside the sidebar. So if you want something to go alongside the sidebar, place in the content-area. If you want something to be above the sidebar and full width, place in the page template area.

The Page template area also contains the content 'section', this section is directly related to all the sections you have active within the 'content-area'.

So if you removed the 'content' section from the Page-template area. Everything which you had placed inside the 'content-area' wouldn't display. It needs to have that section present to be visible.

Hope that makes sense,

• jessicab likes this

#3 pdean

pdean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Thanks James B.

That did in fact make sense.

The question then becomes, how do I install full-width content into the page templates area? Let's say that I want to put an image to the left, and text on the right in the space below my menu and above the box set I already have installed in the page templates area. What's the best way?

One of my earlier questions was, can I have two box sets in the page templates area in Pagelines Lite? I don't see a way to clone or otherwise create them.

Thanks again for your help. 

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Let's say that I want to put an image to the left, and text on the right in the space below my menu and above the box set I already have installed in the page templates area. What's the best way?: The best way to do this would be to place content in the page templates area above the box set you created and added to that page templates area.

Section cloning is only available in the full version of PageLines Framework.

#5 pdean

pdean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Thanks, Catrina.

That's what I thought, but when I dragged the Contents section into the page templates area and created some text and an image, it acted like there was a sidebar over there...even though I had hidden it. To confirm this, i went to the meta settings where the size of the areas can be manipulated and pushed the main area as far as it could go to the right (which is not all the way) and the text and image moved accordingly.

Am I stuck with the two-section (main and sidebar) setup?

Thanks again.

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

Which layout are you using?

#7 pdean

pdean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Okay, your question created another puzzle. I went to site options-default page layout and found a full-width option that I hadn't seen before, and selected it. Then I went to the page, and to edit page...and the full-width option is only for Pro versions. Hmm.

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16358 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

HI,

PageLines Lite has limited features in comparison to the pro version. If you would like to see the differences first hand, you can signup here and starting playing with the Pro version.

http://pagelines.me/

#9 pdean

pdean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

I truly appreciate the help, but this is not working.

I can't find any reason why the content I've created isn't showing on my page.

1. In Edit Page > Page Setup, the Hide Content box isn't checked. (The Hide Quickslider box is, and it's hidden.)

2. The template page (the one I click on the menu bar at the top of the page) shows content, Quickslider, and boxes all active for the Page Templates area. The boxes show up fine. Not the content.

3. On Site Options > Layout Editor, I've chosen the layout mode on the far left, with one big section and a main column as wide as the page.

What am I missing?

Thanks so much for trying to bring me along...

#10 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

Hi Pdean

I've just downloaded a copy of the lite version (i've not used lite before) and tried to replicate your layout. You're correct, you're not able to clone sections in the same area, but as you've added one box section to content-area, and then one to the page template area you should see something similar to this in the meta settings for the page.

http://screencast.com/t/9csAlzSXsT

Clicking on each of these box tabs will allow to to set which box set is used on each set of boxes.

If you're still experiencing issues, could you take a screenshot of the drag and drop, and the meta settings within the page for us. Then we can see what's going on and be able to advise further :-)

#11 pdean

pdean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

Hi James B,

Here's a screenshot of my template. You can see that the content area is active.

http://screencast.com/t/NYDt793iXWbs

Here's the edit page section for the page itself. You can see that content is not hidden, so, just like the boxes, it should appear.

http://screencast.com/t/5sWKC14SXbL

Here's the page itself. Boxes, yes; content, no.

http://screencast.com/t/dGneIogoAdnM

I have content in the edit page area, so why won't it show up in this configuration?

Thanks again for your help.

#12 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

Hi there,

Excellent, ok so content is in the page template area, what's inside the 'content-area'. First screenshot doesn't show that area, but in the second screenshot is showing it as empty.

In the drag and drop you'll see the content area in the right hand side - http://screencast.com/t/gu6Slk7TJs4L

Click on that, then the template you're working on. Scroll down to see whats in the drag and drop in the content-area. You should have postloop in there to see the text on the page at least etc.

#13 pdean

pdean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:33 PM   Best Answer

James B,

Postloop for the win! That was the key -- why was that so difficult for me to find on my own? I've been looking for days, and never saw anywhere that Postloop was the content area in question. At any rate...

Thank you, thank you! For the answer, and for your patience and perseverance.

#14 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

You're welcome, glad it worked :-)