Photo
- - - - -

Can I put a series of videos in the carousel?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 huzzah51

huzzah51

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:04 PM

I have a number of YouTube videos I want to put on my website. Is there a way to put these on the carousel? Or thumbnails of these videos on the carousels? If they are directing to blog posts then I'd want to categorize the videos separately and have only the items in that category go in the carousel (I wouldn't want just any random post in the carousel) Can someone help me? Thanks!

#2 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

At this time there is no way to utilize alternate media like video by using the theme options. You can make thumbnails your self and use the nextgen gallery version in the carousel instead. To link those thumbs however you would also have to install the custom fields plug-in for NextGen so you can set up permalinks.

#3 zmusic

zmusic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:01 AM

This is great idea that I would like to do also. Would I be able to use a youtube embed code, or would the clips have to be on my site? What do you think is the best idea? If it is possible, would you be able to step a noob though it? Thanks

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:12 PM

Which theme are you using? iBlogPro4? If you want to use the solution Adam mentioned, you won't have to use the YouTube embed code or clips on your site (that is, if you want the thumbnails you create to take your visitors to the YouTube pages where the clips are). However, if you do prefer that visitors stay on your website, then you can embed the YouTube clips on your site. What do you want to do?

#5 zmusic

zmusic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am using StationPro 3.2.4 and would like to use the thumbs on the Carousel to target youtube videos instead of the images. I would like the video to play on my site. Is that possible?

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

Hello, Yes, it's possible. For the videos to play on your site, you would just need the embed codes for the YouTube videos and you will need to create one post for each video. Since you mentioned that you wanted different categories (i.e. - one category for videos that appear in the featured box and another for videos that will not appear in the featured box), there is most likely a way to implement the feature slideshow so that only the videos you want will be displayed in it. On a sidenote, you must make sure that the categories are already set and that you remember to select the right category for each video post you make. Does that make sense?

#7 zmusic

zmusic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:21 AM

Thanks for the reply Catrina. I am not the person who began this topic, but I want to do something similar. I'm looking for steps to use the thumbs on the carousel to point to embedded videos from my youtube, instead of the jpegs. Can it be done?

#8 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:30 AM

Hello, you will have to make the thumbnails yourself (from the YouTube videos you have) and there is a way of implementing them in the feature box so that they link to the videos.

#9 zmusic

zmusic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:16 AM

Thanks