Feature Section Setup -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 medicinebuddha

medicinebuddha

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

I'm editing a certain page, choosing settings for the Features in the Meta panel. I want to try to use posts in the Feature slider.

Down at the bottom:
Feature Source and Order (Advanced)
under:
Select Feature Post Source
I'm choosing:
Feature Posts (custom post type)

I have established some posts as feature posts (having enabled that function).

At the top of the Meta panel:
I don't know what to do with
Select Feature Set

Currently, with no set selected, if I just save the settings, the page keeps showing the feature set that I was using previously.

Question: If I'm using Feature Posts, is there supposed to be a Feature Set as well?

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16952 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Hi,

See our documentation for the features section, which will assist you and has information on what you're trying to do.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 medicinebuddha

medicinebuddha

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

Yes, I read that line by line already. I'm just wondering about the question of selecting a feature set. Do I need to select a feature set? And if so, what would it be? Because I have tried to follow the directions exactly but it's not working.

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

If you're using Feature Posts (custom post types) there must be a source for the slides.  Since that's the default, the slides do not automatically generate from the posts. You have to follow the directions that Danny gave you the link for, and go to Dashboard > Features > Feature Sets.  Create a feature set for each grouping of slides you want. You may have as many as you like.  I have hundreds on my site.

Assign each slide you create to the set of your choice.

In the Meta Settings, select the feature set to display on that page. 

If you want slides created from posts, the feature image of the slide (thumbnail) must actually be the size of the slide, no reduced, and you must select a post category.  The posts must be categorized and each post must have a manual excerpt.  This method, I think, is much better for static homepages or blog pages than for any other kind of page.

#5 medicinebuddha

medicinebuddha

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Sorry to sound thick. Thank you, One Smart Egg. So, to summarize, using this method:

"If you want slides created from posts, the feature image of the slide (thumbnail) must actually be the size of the slide, no reduced, and you must select a post category.  The posts must be categorized and each post must have a manual excerpt.  This method, I think, is much better for static homepages or blog pages than for any other kind of page."

... there wouldn't be any "Feature Set" to select? Is that true? 

I understand the rest of if.

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

Hi there,

That's correct, if you are using the post category method you leave the feature set blank. :-)