Photo
- - - - -

Upload Video to Feature Slider

Best Answer Rob , 25 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

Hi,

I apologize as I'm not being clear.  Yes, you upload your video to the Media Library.  When you do so, on the right hand side, you should see a URL for the video. You copy that URL and paste it as described above.  It doesn't need Vimeo or YouTube. Just the URL for the video. Anything uploaded has a URL.  Copying that URL from your Media Library would have the same effect as one of the video services.

The file size is set by WordPress and settings in your site.  When you go to Dashboard > Settings > Media, you'll see the max file size.  It's usually a minimum of 2Mb. However..... I don't recommend such large videos as they'll severely slow the load time of your page (where the slider appears), especially if the slider contains several images and/or videos.

Hope this helps.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sugarshoots

sugarshoots

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Hi!

Just a quick question (I couldn't seem to find the answer elsewhere in the forum) - can you upload video directly to a new Feature? I've been trying to via "Media Area - Image (optional)" but it kept loading for a long time which made me believe that maybe it wasn't going to do it. With another video type it said "file type not supported." I've tried a couple different file types (m4v, mov). I even tried uploading it to the Media Center directly to then "Import from the Library" within the New Feature page (instead of Uploading the video from there). Does the Feature slider only support videos that exist elsewhere on the internet (youtube, Vimeo, etc.) and therefore use a code like [youtube=URL]? If not - what file types are supported, that may be my problem in that case. Thanks so much for the help!

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Hi,

Unlike background images for the feature slides, you don't upload videos into the slider. You copy and paste the URL, usually from Vimeo or Youtube, using Old Embed Code to link the video.  The video appears in a slide because it's called from the source via the link.  You may also upload the video directly to your media library and use the link provided when uploaded.

#3 sugarshoots

sugarshoots

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Ok, so I just was trying that out, but I guess I'm just not totally sure exactly where that link would go then? Sorry for being such a newbie!

I tried putting the link in the "Media Area - Image (optional)" box and in the "Feature HTML (video embeds etc, In Media Area)" box on the Feature page but I was just getting a blank slide.

And the link I was using was pulled from the media library from the appropriate video and looks like this - 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

(Maybe I'm not using the right link?)

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

First, let me point you to the relevant documentation.

So, to include this video, for example:

You'd get the correct Old Embed Code and paste it (see below) into the Feature  HTML" area.

This will then display the video.

If you have your own videos to upload, go to Dashboard > Media > Add New and upload the video.  When your video is uploaded, you'll see a new URL for your site in the settings.  Copy it, then paste it to the Features HTML area.

#5 sugarshoots

sugarshoots

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

Thanks so much! I tried this and was still running in to issues - I'm thinking my video file may be too large. What are the file size limits? Thanks!

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Well, since you should only be including a link, not uploading the video to the slider, it may probably be best to just paste a URL to the video in Feature HTML (video embeds etc, In Media Area).  You just include the URL.

#7 sugarshoots

sugarshoots

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Thanks Rob! We just don't have the video uploaded to Vimeo or Youtube or any other video viewing site and for the sake of keeping it all looking professional since we offer video as one of our services, we were hoping to just upload the video into the media library rather than via a URL. Is that not advisable? If it is an option though, I'd be curious to know the file size limitations to know that I'm not exceeding them. Thanks so much again, your help is very appreciated.

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:52 PM   Best Answer

Hi,

I apologize as I'm not being clear.  Yes, you upload your video to the Media Library.  When you do so, on the right hand side, you should see a URL for the video. You copy that URL and paste it as described above.  It doesn't need Vimeo or YouTube. Just the URL for the video. Anything uploaded has a URL.  Copying that URL from your Media Library would have the same effect as one of the video services.

The file size is set by WordPress and settings in your site.  When you go to Dashboard > Settings > Media, you'll see the max file size.  It's usually a minimum of 2Mb. However..... I don't recommend such large videos as they'll severely slow the load time of your page (where the slider appears), especially if the slider contains several images and/or videos.

Hope this helps.

#9 sugarshoots

sugarshoots

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

That helps bunches, thanks so much for cooperating with my lack of knowledge!