Photo
- - - - -

New Page which is not shown/displayed in drop down or NavBar

New Page Content Page Archive Page Hidden page hidden content Dont show in NavBar Link only vs. Menu Page

Best Answer Rob , 13 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

It seems that you're using default settings for the menu, which add pages by default to the menu. When you add a parent page to the menu, the parent level in the NavBar is always set up to look internally, and doesn't go to a different source - where you want it.

The solution is to create a custom menu.  The parent level will always have to be duplicated as a child to bring people to that link. But to make sure the links under it go to where you want (child links), the custom menu lets you pick and choose pages or even create custom links.  Please read this information: http://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/

Make sure to uncheck options to add new pages to the menu.  There are two. One in PageLines > Site Options. Another in Dashboard > Appearance > Menus.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fpcas9431

fpcas9431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

This may qualify as a dumb question: However.

I am trying to move 4 content pages which are now linked to a Parent Page (See site, Collaberate Tab)

I would like to move these pages in so that users will be able to link to them from Boxes section on Collaberate Tab itself, not from drop down.

No matter what I do everytime I create a new page it shows in NavBar. If I assign it a "Parent" then it shows in NavBar under the parent. I understand all this. What I do not understand is how to create a page of content (or more) which are linked from content inside a page and not in drop down.

I have scanned and read all the material I can find and nothing seems to tell me how to create a page, archive it &/or save it and then simply link to it once done from a content page.

Is there not a simple way to do this?

In Short: Create new page of content, and it links from a page of my menu bar via hyper link but doesn't show up in NavBar?

Site is: 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

BEst

F

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

Hi,

Please forgive me. While the question is not dumb, I'm a bit confused by it. 

You said, for example:

I would like to move these pages in so that users will be able to link
to them from Boxes section on Collaberate Tab itself, not from drop
down.

Move the pages 'in'... ?  Link them from boxes on the tab? Boxes do not go in menus, so I'm confused.

What I do not understand is how to create a page of content (or more)
which are linked from content inside a page and not in drop down.

Menus cannot display portions of a page, only a link to the page itself, whether parent or child level.

You can always create your own menu at Dashboard > Appearance > Menus and stop WordPress from adding pages directly as menu items. By doing your menu manually, you have greater control over its order and the links it displays.

I have scanned and read all the material I can find and nothing seems to
tell me how to create a page, archive it &/or save it and then
simply link to it once done from a content page.

The edit function when creating or editing a page has a link option to make links within the page.  You don't need to archive anything.  It's done by WordPress automatically.

Again, I'm confused by the question, so if you can provide some screenshots of what you wish to create, it would be most helpful.

#3 fpcas9431

fpcas9431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

Let me reframe the question from the working site.

Please go to: www.newsite.thetradinglab.com

a) see Collaberate icon in bottom left: It takes you to our page Collaberate with 4 different boxes that lead to descriptive pages. This is good.

B) See NavBar (top) this opens only to drop down menu of the four pages and not the 'cover page' first which is what we'd like. I do not wish these four pages to show in NavBar or In drop down. I would like them to go to Collaberate page and then if they choose one of the other four.

So: Somehow, someway I have created these pages incorrectly or have linked them incorrectly. I can't find documentation that points to any different.

I cannot seem to find a way to create a page that isn't grouped to a parent and/or doesn't show in NavBar.

Is this clearer?

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:02 AM   Best Answer

It seems that you're using default settings for the menu, which add pages by default to the menu. When you add a parent page to the menu, the parent level in the NavBar is always set up to look internally, and doesn't go to a different source - where you want it.

The solution is to create a custom menu.  The parent level will always have to be duplicated as a child to bring people to that link. But to make sure the links under it go to where you want (child links), the custom menu lets you pick and choose pages or even create custom links.  Please read this information:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Make sure to uncheck options to add new pages to the menu.  There are two. One in PageLines > Site Options. Another in Dashboard > Appearance > Menus.

• fpcas9431 likes this

#5 fpcas9431

fpcas9431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

That worked thank you: I lost some content I had in Links page when that moved, but everything else held together. Much Appreciated

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New Page, Content Page, Archive Page, Hidden page, hidden content, Dont show in NavBar, Link only vs. Menu Page