• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lottydotty

lottydotty

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Please help. I just upgraded my website to PageLines 2.4 and now it looks like crap. I want it to visually be back the way it was.  Can I downgrade to the previous setup? Can I somehow use the new PageLines to make it look simple and great again?

When I contact PageLines' Contact Us page I received the following: "...There is a PHP-related issue that occurred during the upgrade (and there is a fix that can be implemented to bring your site back to normal)..."

What is this fix that they're referring to?

I've attached a screenshot of what the site looked like in its former glory.

Attached Files

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Please try the solution in this post:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Can you provide a url to the site?

#4 lottydotty

lottydotty

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

@Catrina, I did read through the link that you sent, and I don't know if it applies directly. You'd really have to help me with this.

A few helpful pieces of info... I'm running:

PageLines Framework version 2.4

WordPress version 3.5.1

The site can be found at:

Prior to the double-upgrade (no I didn't back up the site... whoops), the site looked clean like the image in the link in the first post.

#5 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Im struggling to see a difference?

#6 lottydotty

lottydotty

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

I'm struggling just like you to see a difference on every other page EXCEPT for the home page. There must have been a slow propagation through the system. A propagation, mind you, that's disconcerting!

@catrina and @Simon_P... I have important info regarding the link that you sent me to look through. I, too, am hosted at Yahoo! Small Business. I've also had PHP problems with them in the past like your other client, but you can now see that the rest of my site is running well with PageLines Framework version 2.4 and WordPress version 3.5.1. However last summer I did have to call Yahoo! and they made a manual upgrade of a few PHP-related issues. After the call and backend improvements the site worked.

Any thoughts on the home page? Perhaps this, too, will return to normal?

#7 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Weel i dont know what to compare it with, it looks fine to me. As for propagation, there is no such thing unless your talking about DNS. Yu are running a page cache plugin so maybe purge that so the whole site is up to date rather than serving stale pages.

#8 lottydotty

lottydotty

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

After the upgrade this morning the site looked like

then it seemed to make a change. (I kept hitting Refresh then eventually it seemed to improve.) I was monitoring the site on both my MacBook and on my iPhone, and the results were the same. In fact it's still isn't formatted correctly on my iPhone.

#9 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

Hi,

It seems that what you saw this morning was more of a browser memory glitch than anything with your site.  The fact that it cleared itself with a few refreshes says there was nothing on the server causing the issue, and thus nothing with PageLines.  Refreshing a browser is a singularly local action for your personal, as opposed to something that happens on the site's host server. 

Next time this happens, try shutting down the browser entirely.. waiting a few moments (at least 30 seconds) and the restarting the browser. If it doesn't work, shut the personal device down, if necessary, and restart that.  Consult the device manuals for memory issues.

#10 lottydotty

lottydotty

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

Hey, Rob. Thanks for the thinking. I agree that it could have been a browser challenge and get the idea of a refresh / memory / cache clear. That's how I first tried to address the problem – with browser clearing, rebooting, etc. However, this was across devices, not one device. Over hours, not minutes. It may not have been a PageLines related thing, but couldn't it have been server-related? If you see the other conversation that @catrina recommended, Yahoo! Small Business had troubles then too.

#11 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:11 AM

The only suggestion in that case would be to probably upgrade to a hosting package with greater control, even if it means changing hosts.

The problem could, of course, be caused by increased traffic to your site pulling resources or even search engine bots using the same resources to read your site. Reach out to Yahoo and ask them how much RAM is available for PHP processing.  If it's 32Mb or less, ask them for at least 64Mb or better, 128Mb.

If they do not provide those resources,  consider an alternate host where such resources are available, like BlueHost, WP Engine or others who've focused on WP hosting.

#12 lottydotty

lottydotty

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:42 AM

@Rob that makes a lot of sense. I'll follow up with Yahoo and see what kinda juice they're providing at the moment. stay tuned...

#13 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:49 AM

Will do!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: php, 2.4, upgrade