Photo
- - - - -

Slow loading time using feature-slider

feature slider background loading time

Best Answer Danny , 05 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Yeah 51 slides is a bit extreme and is most likely the cause of your performance issue. However, the sheer number of sites on your server isn't helping, 1000 sites is an insane amount to be honest.

Also, to change the order of the Feature sliders and other elements such as boxes, banners etc.. you will need to use a plugin called Post Type Order, which allows you to organise your features, boxes and banners using drag and drop.

http://wordpress.org...st-types-order/

Your background image is very large, over 300kb, this image should be reduced in size. The point behind the Supersize background is that your image doesn't have to be huge inorder to fill your screens real estate, as it will supersize the image accordingly to whatever size.

So I recommend you reduce your image size, you can either reduce the actual dimensions or use a tool to reduce the file size, doing both methods is highly recommended.

If you're a Mac user, you can use something called jPegMini, which can reduce your image file size by x5.

http://www.jpegmini.com/?s=1

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 agenturfactory

agenturfactory

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3.8

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

hey there,

we are now using the feature slider on our website: www.agenturfactory.de

unfortuantely, the loading time of the website went dramaticaly up since then.

am i right guessing the feature-slider loads ALL of the features at once? since we are using 51 slides/pictures, this might be the reason its taking that long?!

furthermore the background image of our website always shows up last. until then, the page background is black. is there any way to change that order?

thanks in advance

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17533 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Hi,

The issue you have is similar to a lot of our customers and that is you're using a Shared Hosting plan/package. Shared hosting is cheap hosting and isn't known for its performance, therefore I recommend you upgrade your plan/package to something like a VPS or Dedicated server.

I ran your domain through a reverse IP checker and found that your host has added your domain to a server than is populated by 1000 websites, all these sites are using the same server resources as your site. With the amount of sites on your server, its no surprise that your site has performance issues.

I recommend the following:

• Contact your host and ask them to move your site to a less populated server as its causing performance issues.
  • Upgrade your package/plan to either a VPS or Dedicated server
  • Move web host provider, we recommend ZippyKid or WP Engine, some people may think they're quite expensive. But with web hosting you most certainly get what you pay for.

If you would like to run the reverse IP test yourself, add your website name www.agenturfactory.de

to this website - 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 agenturfactory

agenturfactory

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

hey danny,

thanks a lot for your reply!

i will talk to them asap...

regarding the feature-slide:

am i right with "am i right guessing the feature-slider loads ALL of the features at
once? since we are using 51 slides/pictures, this might be the reason
its taking that long?!"

regarding the background:

any idea how to change the order?

THANKS

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17533 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:00 PM   Best Answer

Yeah 51 slides is a bit extreme and is most likely the cause of your performance issue. However, the sheer number of sites on your server isn't helping, 1000 sites is an insane amount to be honest.

Also, to change the order of the Feature sliders and other elements such as boxes, banners etc.. you will need to use a plugin called Post Type Order, which allows you to organise your features, boxes and banners using drag and drop.

Your background image is very large, over 300kb, this image should be reduced in size. The point behind the Supersize background is that your image doesn't have to be huge inorder to fill your screens real estate, as it will supersize the image accordingly to whatever size.

So I recommend you reduce your image size, you can either reduce the actual dimensions or use a tool to reduce the file size, doing both methods is highly recommended.

If you're a Mac user, you can use something called jPegMini, which can reduce your image file size by x5.

#5 agenturfactory

agenturfactory

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

great support - thank you!

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17533 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

No problem, happy to help!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feature slider, background, loading time