feature section events

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 medicinebuddha

medicinebuddha

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

I have Events Manager Pro installed. I want to use the Feature Section to display events from Events Manager Pro. These "events" are a type of post. I have tried enabling Feature Metapanel on Posts (Pagelines, Site Options, Advanced), and following the other instructions on this page:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

but I can't get the events to show up as a choice for the custom post type, or the feature metapanel to display at the bottom of the event post page (when editing the event post).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Hi,

The Features Section itself is a Custom Post Type, and thus using that for another Custom Post Type will likely create a conflict.  Personally, I don't believe this would work.

We have other options available to you, such as a shortcode slider found under Image Carousel at

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I'm unclear how you planned to use a slider for events. Hopefully this option will work for you.

#3 medicinebuddha

medicinebuddha

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

OK, that's interesting.

Even if I can figure out how to use the shortcode/carousel option, it might still be too complicated for the other administrators who are going to have to add content. I want it to be fairly straight-forward for them.

The idea is that certain events - events that exist in the Events Manager plug-in part of the site - can be marked as featured, or added to the feature slider. We have a lot of events and want to highlight certain ones, changing them throughout the seasons.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to add these highlighted events to the Feature section manually, one at a time. Still having trouble with the formatting, but that's another topic.

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

So in essence, each event is a post, has a featured image (thumbnail) that matches the actual size you want for your slide.

If the events are placed in a category outside the event plugin (created via Dashboard > Posts > Categories) and that category is used, in theory, you can select that category.  Your users must have a thumb of the proper size AND must use that category.

The Feature Slider will pick up the title from the post, the excerpt (ONLY from the manual excerpt field) and the image.  It will automatically link back to that post. 

Does this sound like what you're shooting for?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feature section, events