9 replies to this topic

#1 lutz

lutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Hi!

I just realized that my secondary navigation does appear on the home page only.

This navi contain the categories and I allocated it in the "Morefoot" section (in "Drag & Drop"), but it's the same when I allocate it in the "Footer" section.

I checked the "Page Setup" in "Page Options" for all pages (Blog, Archive, Category, Search, Tags, Author Posts, 404) : nowhere is the checkbox "Hide Secondary Navi" active.

That's amazing because the carousel, which is allocated in the "Morefoot" section as well, does show up on all pages!

In case you would like to see it, here it appears (just on top of the carousel):

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

and here it doesn't, the carousel only:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

What the hell is this?

Does anybody has an ideal why this happens???

Thanks in advance!

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Is there a secondary nav menu selected under Page Options > Archive > Page Setup? (At the bottom where it says "Select Secondary Nav Menu")

#3 lutz

lutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Dear Catrina,

no, it wasn't selected. 

But now that I selected it, nothing changed ;))

There's still no secnondary nav bar on all other pages than the home page ...

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16526 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

The Secondary Navigation is not a global menu like NavBar, Nav Classic or Fixed Nav, it is a menu for a per page/post basis and is to be used for child pages or a custom menu you created.

Therefore, the Secondary Navigation not appearing on all pages, is how the section was designed and is working as intended.

#5 lutz

lutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

Dear Danny,

thanks, I see ...

Is there another method to fix the second nav on all pages somewhere at the bottom?

#6 mackenzie

mackenzie

Advocate

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

I would recommend looking through the forum to see how others might have done the same thing as you may need to use custom CSS to accomplish this.

#7 lutz

lutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

@mackenzie,  

I did so before I opened this thread. But as I couldn't find anything concerning second nav bar and it's appearance on all pages, I tried this way to get this info ;))

#8 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

I'm not sure if this will make a difference, but have you tried deactivating all active non-PL plugins to see if the secondary nav shows up on pages where it's absent?

#9 lutz

lutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Dear Catrina,

no, that dind't make any difference.

But I had the idea to use a plugin and I found a simple widget which is displaying the categories in the sidebar.

Not exactly what I wanted to have, but better than nothing ...  ;))

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hi,

To clarify, as Danny correctly points out, the Secondary Nav section is intended to be used on a page or post basis, not globally, as a Morefoot is.  There's no global setting for it, so using it in the Morefoot is simply a bad practice unless you can change it on a page level basis.  Since there are special pages which don't have an edit option, you have to select page templates for these, provided one exists. You could, therefor, only select a Secondary Nav menu for the Blog section, or Category pages.  You will still fail to see it on every page or post.

There are alternative ways of creating a menu that may be applied in the morefoot.  One is the universal sidebar, to which you may place a text widget and align a series of links in a row.

Another way, if you want the menu stacked vertically, is to add a Custom Menu widget to one of the Morefoot column sidebars.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Navi, Secondary Navigation, does not appear