Photo
- - - - -

Accidentally deleted blog page, unrecoverable

blog

Best Answer Danny , 04 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

The Blog Page, when you have configured it in Wordpress Admin Dashboard > Settings > Reading, is then considered a special page and therefore doesn't follow the normal procedure of standard pages.

So even though you can select a different template on the Blog Page itself, it will never do anything. Once the Page has been set as the Posts Page, you configure your Blog using the:

PageLines > Page Options > Blog

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 njjeppson

njjeppson

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

In short, I've deleted the standard 'blog' page that comes with pagelines (accident) then permanently deleted all pages in the trash (purposeful) which deleted the blog page (accident).

I've attempted to get the page back by:

1) Creating a new page called blog

2) Simply creating a post and adding the category to the menu header

Neither one of which works. I can create a new page called "blog"; however, I am unable to assign the blog page template to the page. 

So, how do I fix this (not-so-little) problem? I searched and it appears that no one has had this before (or everyone simply knows how to resolve without asking!).

Thanks

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13239 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

Hi,

What do you mean the standard blog page that comes with PageLines, PageLines doesn't come with any pages already created upon you installing the framework ?

So I apologise but I am not entirely sure what you're referring to, would it be possible for you to reply with great detail and provide images of the issue.

#3 njjeppson

njjeppson

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

Hi,

What do you mean the standard blog page that comes with PageLines, PageLines doesn't come with any pages already created upon you installing the framework ?

Sorry- let me rephrase. I had a page called 'blog' that previously had the blog template assigned to it; that is the page I deleted (assume it was standard).

Now, I am unable to create a new page and assign the blog template to it; even though blog is a page template under the drag and drop templates. So, how can I get the blog to show if I am unable to assign the blog template to any pages I create?

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13239 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

AH OK, I see, you had me confused then, as I wasn't sure if you were talking about the Blog page or the Blog template.

OK, to resolve your issue, please do the following:

1. Go to Wordpress > Settings > Reading > in the drop down menu for Post Page (blog page), select your new page and click save.

2. Visit your page on your website and your blog posts should be visible!

#5 njjeppson

njjeppson

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Ok, I've done that; however, the 'Blog' page still shows the template as default. When I go to edit the page and change the template I am unable to do so; is that normal? 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

- does that not mean that my blog page is not working as it should since I am unable to apply the template?

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Hi,  The blog page is essentially a special page.  You may select any template from the drop down, to apply things like sliders, etc.  However, what shows in the WP Bar may be different from what you're using.  You may also apply these special sections to the Blog template itself in Drag & Drop under either Page Templates (full-width elements) or Content Area (same width as other content, with sidebars along side)

Just remember when creating the page that you may not add any text or punctuation, not even a non-breaking space, to the edit field in the page.  This will block the posts from displaying.  As Danny said, the page you create to replace the lost blog page may be set as the blog in Dashboard > Settings > Reading.

Did you look in Dashboard > Pages > All Pages under Trash for your old page or was the trash cleared?

#7 njjeppson

njjeppson

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

hey rob- unfortunately the trash was cleared. but i have created a new page and set it as the blog under dashboard --> settings --> reading. my posts are now showing so I guess it is pulling the blog template even without showing that the template is applied!

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13239 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:06 AM   Best Answer

The Blog Page, when you have configured it in Wordpress Admin Dashboard > Settings > Reading, is then considered a special page and therefore doesn't follow the normal procedure of standard pages.

So even though you can select a different template on the Blog Page itself, it will never do anything. Once the Page has been set as the Posts Page, you configure your Blog using the:

PageLines > Page Options > Blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blog