Photo
- - - - -

WHP theme: Add current blog post to Home Feature Page

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 stippitt

stippitt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

I am using the standard feature page for my home page. but where the content box is for the home page - (underneath the feature boxes) is where I want the most current blog post to show up. I want the current blog post title that links back to the blog on the full blog page, the author, date and blog content. I still can't figure out how to do that easily with the theme. Can you give me more direction? I've tried some code I found in the forum but still not working correctly.
1. So I need to know the correct code - I'm not a code person, so please be thorough. :)
this is the code I used:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

[postfeed field="post_author" offset="0"]

[postfeed field' "post_date" offset="0"]

[postfeed field="post_content" offset="0"]

with the above code this is what it gave me, unformatted:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

2 Hello world!
Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging! Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging! Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging! Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging! Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!

So, the link part is not working,and the date and author do not show up.
2. Also, how do I get the post to be formated like the post on the blog page - it is only bring in the text generically.

thanks for your help!

#2 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

I am trying to think of an easy way for you to do this. The shortcode was never meant to replicate the formatting and look of the main blog page since it's just a simple post feed. You can use the feature page template in conjunction with the blog page but it is not setup to have both, meaning a main blog page and a blog portion underneath the feature page. Is this a must have bc the template files will have to be modified quite a bit to try and get something like this.

#3 stippitt

stippitt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

yes, I really need it. And I do see other people who have requested the same thing. Is the issue the formatting? If you give me some direction, I'm okay with tweaking...

#4 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:46 PM

Yes it's mainly the formatting, but also querying more info like the thumbnail, the permalink, the post-meta. Really just the lot of it. I'll work on a solution and report back later with more info. Please bump the topic so I can easily see I need to respond :)

#5 stippitt

stippitt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:14 AM

thanks so much. and sorry, what does bump the the topic mean? :)

#6 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:23 PM

I've wrestled with trying to get this to work and there really isn't an easy way to do it especially without breaking the code which I managed too each time. I still think the best bet is to place the feature area above your blog page (in page/post options) . Then call this page your home page (although technically it is now a blog page (default template) that just has features above it. Then create a navigation link in 3.0 menu system that links to a category called "blog" which is set up to catch all the posts. The only downside is that all posts will have the "blog" category attached to it, which seems slightly redundant, but ultimately helps distinguish between posts and pages for your users anyway. Does that make sense? Note you can still assign other categories (posts can have multiple categories.)

#7 stippitt

stippitt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:18 AM

so, if I want to go the original route, I could have a programmer tweak the home page for me to do what I want right? Too hard for me, but not too hard for a coder? I really think this would be a good option to add to your template. I saw several other posts with users wanting to do the same thing. In my opinion it is a pretty standard feature on a lot of sites. Just something to consider...

#8 stippitt

stippitt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:16 PM

bump

#9 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip