Photo
- - - - -

Section banners not appearing in IE/FF but okay in Chrome & Safari...

browser header banner

Best Answer bjs198 , 31 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

After investigating (with lots of coffee) this morning I realise I'm a complete and total tool... Out of the 5 banners I use, on 4 of the banners (the ones that don't show) I'd set the 'Banner Text Width (In %)' as 100% in favour of text, but there is no text hence the banner images not showing. Obv the banner that does show was set as 1% in favour of text as I can't set it as 0% and that shows AO'K. <. Total. Idiot. I really am sorry for not seeing this earlier, I was blinded by the fact our Windows server is a POS and figured it must be related lol. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bjs198

bjs198

Advanced Member

• Members

• 78 posts
  • LocationTianjin, PRC
  • Framework Version:DMS 2.x

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

Hey all,

I've recently noticed that all the banners used in a TEMPLATE section only seem to appear if viewed in Chrome & Safari, viewing in IE & Firefox they do not show. It's worth noting that I have set the banner module as an active section within the TEMPLATE 2 layout and switched it to 'not show' as default, then I re-enable the banner module on each individual page using whatever banner I need from a preset selection (I also hide the header on these pages to surpress the default header). I designed it this way in order to style each section with a unique header.

Can someone please check the following page and tell me if they see the header banner or not? I have checked in various different browsers and am getting very mixed results...

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I'm wondering if I've knackered it somehow?

Thanks!

Barney

Attached Files

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15047 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

Hi Barney,

You have index.php in your URL, which may be the causing this. I suggest you go to permalinks and see what your permalink structure is.

Also, the Banner section was supposed to be used in this way, simply showing images. The banner section is supposed to display both image and text, this may be the reason why the section is not visible on IE/FF.

I recommend replacing the Banners section with the Content Box and add your banners HTML there.

I was also unable to view the pagelines.style.css, which is an odd issue in its self, have you edited any of files at all ?

#3 bjs198

bjs198

Advanced Member

• Members

• 78 posts
  • LocationTianjin, PRC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

Hey Danny,

Regarding the css, I just checked the folder and that file doesn't exist... the only files I can see are animate, ie7, multisite, objects and shortcodes. Do you think this missing file might be the reason our site loading time is rather slow?

Okay so the index.php is a fix employed by a server tech to enable pretty URLs on a Windows server running IIS6, I know it's a bit of a hack but we had no other option, apparently :(

I'll try to rearrange the template layout and let you know how I get on!

Let me know about the css :)

Cheers

Barney

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15047 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

Can you open up your FTP client and navigate to the following directory please:

wp-content/themes/pagelines/

Once in the pagelines folder, can you take a screenshot and link in your reply so we can see what files are available.

Also, Windows servers are not great, see this topic - 

#5 bjs198

bjs198

Advanced Member

• Members

• 78 posts
  • LocationTianjin, PRC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

It was deemed easier to hand over to the client when the time came but the more I look in to it the less I think they will be able to manage the issues that occur because we put it on a Windows server lol... swings and round-abouts :S

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15047 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

OK, well the as far as I can tell all the files are there. I am going to have to speak to one of our developers who has a lot more knowledge on server setups, which may be the cause of the issue.

While we wait for our developer to get back to me, can you provide in steps 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.. for the banner section so I can try and recreate the issue.

#7 bjs198

bjs198

Advanced Member

• Members

• 78 posts
  • LocationTianjin, PRC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

Interestingly one of the banners does show, see this link:

Odd... maybe it's the way I set up the pages...

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

Hi Barney,

On the pages where the banners don't show, check the following:

1.  Which template is used and does it have the banner section on it?

2.  Did you check "Hide Banners" in the PageLines Meta Settings on any of these pages?

#9 bjs198

bjs198

Advanced Member

• Members

• 78 posts
  • LocationTianjin, PRC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:10 AM   Best Answer

After investigating (with lots of coffee) this morning I realise I'm a complete and total tool... Out of the 5 banners I use, on 4 of the banners (the ones that don't show) I'd set the 'Banner Text Width (In %)' as 100% in favour of text, but there is no text hence the banner images not showing. Obv the banner that does show was set as 1% in favour of text as I can't set it as 0% and that shows AO'K. <. Total. Idiot. I really am sorry for not seeing this earlier, I was blinded by the fact our Windows server is a POS and figured it must be related lol.

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

No worries.  Glad you resolved it.

• bjs198 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: browser, header, banner