Photo
- - - - -

Admin panel is slow

slow

Best Answer jdoughall , 01 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

Rob, I just wish someone had simply said ask your host instead of sending me pages of hoops to jump through. As I said from the start, I AM NOT A PROGRAMMER OR DEVELOPER. I have very limited skills in this area. I contacted the host and they provided th PHP information in about 2 minutes ... something that would have taken me 2 days to do. Rob, you're the first person who even suggested that. SIMON kept asking me how many sections I had loaded long after I had already told him I had loaded NO sections. ARe you folks even reading the past posts?

So how do I give you the PhP info?

Go to the full post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

#41 Erwan

Erwan

• Members

• 193 posts
  • Framework Version:Framework 2.4.4 - DMS 1.1.6 & 1.2

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

Hi,

Since this topic is not closed / marked as resolved, and it's the only recent one I found in PL support forums concerning backend performance issues, I am taking the liberty of asking a few related additional questions here. If it's not relevant, forgive me and tell me if I should post somewhere else.

Actually, I obviously have a problem similar to the one exposed by jdoughall, i.e. an amazingly slow admin with Pagelines compared to Twenty Twelve for instance, using a shared hosting service with a 80 Mb RAM limit for PHP processing. For my information, did you solve your problem and how ?

1. I read this topic (and others...) very carefully, followed indications, and my finding is pretty weird (if you consider I'm let's say 7 years old...). Actually, PL backend with no plugins at all is more or less as fast as any other light theme (vs. framework)  like Twenty Twelve. BUT, with a dozen of well known and "essential" plugins (Jetpack, Disqus, BackWPup, Google XML Sitemaps, Wysija Newsletters,...), Twenty Twelve backend remains fast, whereas Pagelines is dramatically slow. And, once again, I speak of backend : no significant difference for frontend (tested with Pingdom, GTMetrix,...).

Hence : does it make sense for you ? Maybe PL creates more "conflicts" with plugins, in my poor shared hosted environment ?

2. I read many different assumptions pertaining RAM requirements for Pagelines in the forums. Are my 80 Mb enough for my very minimally trafficked site, or not ? Could it explain moreover these specific backend issues ? Oh, and, if I read well, do I have to define in my wp-config the WP_MEMORY_LIMIT to 64 Mb or 96 Mb (if 80 is really not a good value) ?

3. This said... I'm now 3 years old and a bit lost. I created a CloudFlare account, linked my server to it, and activated ALL CloudFlare optimizing options (beyond plain CDN -->

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

), i.e. compression, "Rocket Loader", and so on, including HTML / CSS / JS minification. And then suddenly not only my frontend performance rocketed, but my Pagelines backend too... Is this logical ? Any hint / explanation !?  

Many thanks in advance :-)

Best regards.

#42 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

Hi Erwanlescop 

Please could create a new topic with your questions please? 

#43 Erwan

Erwan

• Members

• 193 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

Hi Martin,

It would take me hours considering my English is not that fluent, and that I would have to copy / paste & summarize this whole topic !

Too bad :-\

#44 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Hi,

Martin is simply asking you to copy the post you made and create a new one.  Adding to someone else's topic is considered hijacking which we don't support.  We'll be happy to help you with a new topic.

You don't have to re-write the entire text you wrote, but we're not allowed to support this here. Thanks for your kind cooperation.

#45 Erwan

Erwan

• Members

• 193 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

Hi Rob,

1. I'm sure you understood I did not intend to hijack... ;)

Since this topic is not closed / marked as resolved, and it's the only recent one I found in PL support forums concerning backend performance issues, I am taking the liberty of asking a few related additional questions here. If it's not relevant, forgive me and tell me if I should post somewhere else.

2. I just wondered if It might not be better for the community of support forums users to avoid redundancy of topics (same question asked and asked again, one way or another, especially when no all-embracing tutorial / doc / FAQ is avalaible). Looking at it in this way, I thought we had a good example here : my questions were (well, mostly, IMO...) related to a recently presented problem and its subsequent Q&A and informations. I hope you understood my underlying reasoning ;)

3. That beeing said, I'll abide by your instructions - guidelines and will create a new topic, trying to make it useful (for me... and others !), clear... and not redundant.

Thanks to both of you Martin & Rob for your responsiveness.

#46 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15194 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hi,

The reason as to why we ask users to create a new topic even if the issues are similar, is that most of the time, our users will either ask another question or the issues end up not being similar.

Now if we didn't do this, when other PageLines users are using the search function for answers to their issues, the topic that they think holds the answer to their issue actually ends up not even being related.

You can find our FAQ and documentation here:

Regarding your issue to your poor load time for your admin dashboard, this is most likely caused by either plugins installed, poor hosting or a server configuration issue.

Also comparing Twenty Ten, Eleven or Twelve isn't really an accurate comparison as none of the default Wordpress themes comes with the amount of options, features or functionality thats included with PageLines Framework.

I have several test sites and never encountered a slow loading admin dashboard so I recommend you disable all your plugins, clear your cache and see if this improves load time. If it doesn't improve then create a new topic and provide the following the information:

You PHPinfo, you can learn how to do this here - 

Enable PageLines Debug mode - (PageLines > Site Options > Advanced)

#47 Erwan

Erwan

• Members

• 193 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your answer.

1. I'm not sure to fully understand your "topic strategy", but nevermind : you of course know better than me the issues.

2. I know where to find PL FAQ & doc : I never posted any question without reading them twice, and repeatedly searching forums. 

3. I do NOT compare PL with Twenty Twelve "on the same basis". Maybe I'm 3 years old, but old enough to understand the difference. That is not, and was not my point. And I did disable plugins to understand why my PL admin dashboard was slow, for instance. Quoting myself :

Actually, PL backend with no plugins at all is more or less as fast as any other light theme (vs. framework)  like Twenty Twelve.

4. I make tests again and again, and will create new topics for the points I raised which you did'nt adress (at all : read me again, If I may).

Best regards.

#48 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15194 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

I apologise but I didn't address your question regarding the plugins you listed above slowing down your admin dashboard. I am awaiting your new topic, to be created, then I was going to reply there. When you create this topic, can you list all the plugin you use, so I can test this myself please.

Also, provide your PHP info and enable PageLines debug.

PHP info - 

PageLines Debug - PageLines > Site Options > Advanced.

#49 Erwan

Erwan

• Members

• 193 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

All right Danny, I obviously did'nt fully understand you.

I'll do my best to post appropriate & separate topics after last tests (I don't wan't to "spam" with inaccurate - irrelevant questions), pertaining the points I initially raised :

• slow PL admin with or without plugins ?
  • PHP RAM requirements & settings for my site ?
  • CloudFlare impact (or not) on backend with shared hosted server ?

See you later "there".

And thanks again for your responsiveness.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: slow