Photo
- - - - -

Admin panel is slow

slow

Best Answer jdoughall , 01 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

Rob, I just wish someone had simply said ask your host instead of sending me pages of hoops to jump through. As I said from the start, I AM NOT A PROGRAMMER OR DEVELOPER. I have very limited skills in this area. I contacted the host and they provided th PHP information in about 2 minutes ... something that would have taken me 2 days to do. Rob, you're the first person who even suggested that. SIMON kept asking me how many sections I had loaded long after I had already told him I had loaded NO sections. ARe you folks even reading the past posts?

So how do I give you the PhP info?

Go to the full post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

#21 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

We recommend imgur.com but theres are 100's of image sharing sites on the web. You can also attach images to the actual post but the upload size is limited, we'd rather you host the image yourself.

#22 jdoughall

jdoughall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Framework Version:Professional Plus

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

To be honest I don't understand why I need to post a screenshot in the first place. On the Word Press admin Dashboard, the choices under PageLines are:

PageLines

Dashboard

Site Options

Page Options

Drag & Drop

Store

It is that simple. If I am on Dashboard (under PageLines) and I then click on Site Options, it takes about 12 seconds to load Site Options (sometimes up to 90 seconds). If I then click on Page Options, it takes like 12 seconds to load Page Options, If I then cllick on Drag & Drop it takes ~12 seconds or more to load Drag & Drop.

The admin panel is S - L - O - W !!!!!!

#23 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

OK well I only wanted to see how many added sections were being loaded on that page.

I realise your site is S - L - O - W !!!!!! seems to me like your host isn't up to the job.

Your on dreamhost right? A search for 'dreamhost slow' gets nearly 300,000 results.

I'll let the moderators take over this post, I tried to help, and if i offended you by asking for the screenshot im sorry.

#24 jdoughall

jdoughall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

YES, I think that is a good idea. As I stated in an earlier post in answer to your question, NO SECTIONS HAVE BEEN ADDED. PERIOD. NONE. ZERO. NONE.

Thank you for your help.

#25 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16897 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Hi, OK, so we can diagnose the issue, can you provide the following information please.

1. Can you enable PageLines debug mode, which can be found in PageLines > Site Options > Advanced

2. Can you provide us with your PHP info, you can do this by following the instructions here -

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

3. Can you install a free application called JING, it allows you to capture your screen by either image or video and then allows you to upload it to the web via a free screencast account.

All the instructions are on the Jing website -

As soon as Jing is installed, can you start a recording and then login to your Wordpress admin dashboard, so we can see the load time issue in action.

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

#26 jdoughall

jdoughall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Thank you Danny. Your instructions were clear and I think I can do what you suggested. I downloaded Jing last night and if I have time today, I will post the PHP info and the Jing video.

#27 jdoughall

jdoughall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

@Danny ... as I said at the start, I'm not a programmer/developer, etc, I'm a novice. I tried to follow the direction at wp codex and immediately ran into a problem.The instructions say to save the code as .php in a text editor. I used Apple's TextEdit and got a message that I could not save it as .php, that it had to be .rtf

At this point I think I've concluded that although PageLines is adverstised as not needing to know code, it is far above my sophistication level.

Therefore, I think I wil cancel my account and look for another framework like Woo Themes Canvas which looks much easier to use. Thank you for your help.

And to @Simon_P if you search "slow" on PageLines forum you find lots of people complaining.

#28 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Hi there. Were you able to enable debug like Danny asked in #1 above? That tells us a lot about your site's internals.

#29 jdoughall

jdoughall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

@Jenny .. I don't think you read my last post.

#30 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

Hi,

None of the things Danny requested required coding or programming. Everything was incredibly basic and rudimentary and would apply no matter what theme or framework you used.  I completely understand if you're frustrated and upset. I would be too, but please realize that frustration is with the condition, not the help we are trying to provide.

To get a PHP info file, call your host and ask them for it if you're uncomfortable creating and uploading a file. They should be able to do this for you quite easily.

Let me say, in response to your statement about many who've posted here in the forum about slow sites that this issue is not PageLines but servers.  Most of those who've experienced this condition have used incredibly inexpensive and resource-poor hosting which doesn't provide the necessary minimums for speedy processing.

Candidly, I've experienced this problem myself and through trial, error and investigation, discovered that the traffic to my site increased, pulling more resources than available.  I ultimately had to get the host to increase the resources by migrating my account to a bigger, better one.

I assure you that Simon, Danny and Jenny are trying very hard to help you but they need to see certain settings and conditions to determine how best to point you in the right direction.  Since you're unable to provide screenshots, I'll provide you with a generic set of simply instructions that should help.

1.  Call your host and ask them what the available RAM is for PHP processing.

2.  If the number is less than 64 MegaBytes (Mb), kindly ask them to increase those resources to a minimum of 64Mb, but preferably 128Mb.

3.  If they refuse or make excuses, contact Bluehost or WP-Engine, which have WordPress ready servers capable of handling your account.  They could even help with migration.  Any host who refuses or makes excuses for that request doesn't, quite honestly, deserve your business.

WordPress itself uses many PHP resources - these are the things it processes, like posts, pages, blog pages, etc.  Admittedly, PageLines does add more processes as will any other framework because we use things like sections, custom post types, etc.  That's why when changing to default themes, the speed picks up.  But then, you get much less.   

If you put it in the context of a car, you only need regular gasoline to run a Chevy or a Toyota. But if you're going to drive that candy red Ferrari or the racing green Lotus, then you need premium gasoline.  Liken that gasoline to the RAM available.  Less than 32Mb and you're running on fumes. Soon, you'll run out of gasoline and the site will stop or slow down to a crawl.

There is a learning curve for absolutely any theme or framework, and indeed, for WordPress itself. If you still desire a refund, please write to hello@pagelines.com as these are not processed through the forum.

I hope this helps to alleviate some of your speed issues and concerns.

#31 jdoughall

jdoughall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:38 AM   Best Answer

Rob, I just wish someone had simply said ask your host instead of sending me pages of hoops to jump through. As I said from the start, I AM NOT A PROGRAMMER OR DEVELOPER. I have very limited skills in this area. I contacted the host and they provided th PHP information in about 2 minutes ... something that would have taken me 2 days to do. Rob, you're the first person who even suggested that. SIMON kept asking me how many sections I had loaded long after I had already told him I had loaded NO sections. ARe you folks even reading the past posts?

So how do I give you the PhP info?

#32 jdoughall

jdoughall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

P.S., Dreamhost gave me a URL to the PHP data but I'm not sure I want to post a URL on a public forum

#33 jdoughall

jdoughall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

Looks like the Memory Limit is 90 mb - someone from your company told me the other day that if I had average traffic I'd be okay with 64 mb

#34 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

90Mb is not a good value for that. It should be in values that are multiples of 1024Kb like 96Mb.  And yes, 64Mb is normally sufficient for minimally trafficked sites.

#35 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

You can provide that link here. It's perfectly safe.  There's no information contained in those links that isn't in almost every other site around the globe.  No worries.

#36 jdoughall

jdoughall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

#37 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

Thanks.

As soon as Simon is in tomorrow, I'll ask him to take a look at that. He's our senior developer and knows just what to look for.

#38 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

Okay, without Simon I was able to make a discovery you may simply not like.

Pingdom is the Rolls Royce of site speed evaluators.  They set the benchmark.

If you look at the results, you'll see what I do in the picture below...

The delays are not coming from WordPress nor PageLines, but directly from your server.  The proof is that it takes multiple seconds to load the domain itself before anything else even loads.

As I mentioned earlier, 90Mb is not a correct figure and, I suspect that whomsoever set that up for you had no clue, which may indicate a completely bad setup for your hosting from the start.  That appears evidenced by the Pingdom report.

Further, if you check the time it takes to load the compiled CSS, you'll see it's a total of 934Ms or less than 1 second. Your present slides are not the defaults, which are not large at all in file size, and you have nothing loading that's capable of slowing the site.  Perhaps some plugin conflicts might cause an issue, but then they'd not cause the domain itself to load so slowly.

I'm sorry to do this, but my recommendation is to promptly migrate your domain and site to a company like BlueHost or WP-Engine or get a dedicated server at iWeb.  Unfortunately, we cannot fix bad hosting.

Attached Files

#39 jdoughall

jdoughall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

What's your opinion of Zippy Kids, which is also mentioned somewhere else on PageLines' site. I did some preliminary checks and their support seems really good compared to WP Engine..

#40 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:19 AM

I don't know them or of them.  Just make sure they're not a reseller. If they're not, then go for it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: slow