Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Admin panel is slow

Question

Posted · Report post

I am new to PageLines and I am not a developer or programmer. I am a novice. Please talk to me like I were a 5 year old. No, wait, 5 year olds may know more computer talk than I do. With that out of the way, here is my problem,

I just installed PageLines recently. When I am in the dashboard and I click Site Options (as an example) sometimes the lag time is 90 seconds or more before the panel displays on the right. If I go back to Page Options (for example) it might be 4 to 9 seconds before Page Options appear.

I have deactivated ALL plugins.

I have activated a new theme (namely Twenty Twelve) and the slowness issue is greatly improved.

I have the latest version of WP running 3.5.1

Here is an exchange I had with the Host (Dreamhost). I have not figured out how to allow,deny the IP addresses yet, but as I said previously, when I deactivated PageLines the admin panel sped up considerably. Is this a unique issue? Have others experienced this? What are your ideas?

Hello,

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013, you wrote:

> When I'm in admin the response is awfully slow. It has been as slow as 90

> seconds. More often a delay in connecting and sometimes the wait time goes up

> over 5 seconds. Hopefully you'll be able to offer a solution or move you on

> to another server

> jdoughall

>

Hello J, thanks for contacting us.  I have looked at your issue and I

have found the following data on your site:

These are the IP addresses that are hitting your site the most:

25 173.58.165.176

32 12.248.40.138

869 71.204.72.139

You can see the disparity of the amount of times that the IP address

above has hit in relation to the other IP addresses.  I recommend

blocking it if you do not recognize the IP address:

wiki.dreamhost.com/Htaccess_file_overview#Deny.2FAllow_Certain_IP_Addresses

These are the scrips/files/plugins that are being called the most:

20 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/

admin/js/jquery.effects.js

20 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/admin/js/jquery.layout.js

20 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/admin/js/script.common.js

20 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/admin/js/script.settings.js

20 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/css/objects.css

25 /wp-admin/admin.php

39 /wp-includes/js/thickbox/thickbox.css

50 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/admin/css/admin.css

52 /wp-admin/css/colors-fresh.min.css

84 /wp-login.php

I do not believe that the scripts that are being called would affect the

performance of the site as much as the IP address.  I highly recommend

you block the IP address that is hitting your site and see if that

improves the performance of the site.  You may also want to contact the

theme creator to see if the amount of calls to the theme is normal.  If

you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to

contact us.

48 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

The worst problem is within the Admin panel

the site is www.gritsandtacos.com

It is under development.

Posted · Report post

Looks like the Memory Limit is 90 mb - someone from your company told me the other day that if I had average traffic I'd be okay with 64 mb

Posted · Report post

@Danny .... I have actually used a stopwatch and sometimes the lag is 90 seconds in switching from Site Options to Page Options, for example. I have spent HOURS with the folks at the host server and they cannot find any problem. And as I said, as soon as I disable PageLines my admin speed immediately increases exponentially.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Since this topic is not closed / marked as resolved, and it's the only recent one I found in PL support forums concerning backend performance issues, I am taking the liberty of asking a few related additional questions here. If it's not relevant, forgive me and tell me if I should post somewhere else.

Actually, I obviously have a problem similar to the one exposed by jdoughall, i.e. an amazingly slow admin with Pagelines compared to Twenty Twelve for instance, using a shared hosting service with a 80 Mb RAM limit for PHP processing. For my information, did you solve your problem and how ?

1. I read this topic (and others...) very carefully, followed indications, and my finding is pretty weird (if you consider I'm let's say 7 years old...). Actually, PL backend with no plugins at all is more or less as fast as any other light theme (vs. framework)  like Twenty Twelve. BUT, with a dozen of well known and "essential" plugins (Jetpack, Disqus, BackWPup, Google XML Sitemaps, Wysija Newsletters,...), Twenty Twelve backend remains fast, whereas Pagelines is dramatically slow. And, once again, I speak of backend : no significant difference for frontend (tested with Pingdom, GTMetrix,...).

Hence : does it make sense for you ? Maybe PL creates more "conflicts" with plugins, in my poor shared hosted environment ?

2. I read many different assumptions pertaining RAM requirements for Pagelines in the forums. Are my 80 Mb enough for my very minimally trafficked site, or not ? Could it explain moreover these specific backend issues ? Oh, and, if I read well, do I have to define in my wp-config the WP_MEMORY_LIMIT to 64 Mb or 96 Mb (if 80 is really not a good value) ?

3. This said... I'm now 3 years old and a bit lost. I created a CloudFlare account, linked my server to it, and activated ALL CloudFlare optimizing options (beyond plain CDN --> http://www.cloudflare.com/features-optimizer), i.e. compression, "Rocket Loader", and so on, including HTML / CSS / JS minification. And then suddenly not only my frontend performance rocketed, but my Pagelines backend too... Is this logical ? Any hint / explanation !?  

Many thanks in advance :-)

Best regards.

Posted · Report post

Your comparing the framework to twentytwelve? How many options does it have? none. Custom interface with drag and drop? er no.

How many sections are loaded when you get the page options page loaded? Are they all in use? 

Posted · Report post

I am not comparing the options of the two. I have been experiencing slowness. In order to isolate the problem, I temporarily deactiveated PageLines, and the slowness issue was resolved. I am smarter than you apparently give me credit for being. I understand there are significant differences in the features provided by PageLines and those provided by free WP themes. But thank you for your comment anyway. BTW, I had absolutely NO sections in use when the slowness was observed.

Now maybe someone else can be helpful.

Posted · Report post

Hi Erwanlescop 

Please could create a new topic with your questions please? 

Posted · Report post

Hi Martin,

It would take me hours considering my English is not that fluent, and that I would have to copy / paste & summarize this whole topic !

Too bad :-

Posted · Report post

Well can you provide a screenshot of the page options screen?

If you want someone else to help i dont mind.

Posted · Report post

90Mb is not a good value for that. It should be in values that are multiples of 1024Kb like 96Mb.  And yes, 64Mb is normally sufficient for minimally trafficked sites.

Posted · Report post

You can provide that link here. It's perfectly safe.  There's no information contained in those links that isn't in almost every other site around the globe.  No worries.

Posted · Report post

I would be happy to provide a screen shot if I knew how to do that.

Posted · Report post

There are many screenshot applications, I use 'Jing' its free.

Posted · Report post

Thanks.

As soon as Simon is in tomorrow, I'll ask him to take a look at that. He's our senior developer and knows just what to look for.

Posted · Report post

Okay, without Simon I was able to make a discovery you may simply not like.

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/uJTqnKn3l/http://gritsandtacos.com/

Pingdom is the Rolls Royce of site speed evaluators.  They set the benchmark.

If you look at the results, you'll see what I do in the picture below...

The delays are not coming from WordPress nor PageLines, but directly from your server.  The proof is that it takes multiple seconds to load the domain itself before anything else even loads.

As I mentioned earlier, 90Mb is not a correct figure and, I suspect that whomsoever set that up for you had no clue, which may indicate a completely bad setup for your hosting from the start.  That appears evidenced by the Pingdom report.

Further, if you check the time it takes to load the compiled CSS, you'll see it's a total of 934Ms or less than 1 second. Your present slides are not the defaults, which are not large at all in file size, and you have nothing loading that's capable of slowing the site.  Perhaps some plugin conflicts might cause an issue, but then they'd not cause the domain itself to load so slowly.

I'm sorry to do this, but my recommendation is to promptly migrate your domain and site to a company like BlueHost or WP-Engine or get a dedicated server at iWeb.  Unfortunately, we cannot fix bad hosting.

post-6-0-72755000-1359687627_thumb.jpg

Posted · Report post

What's your opinion of Zippy Kids, which is also mentioned somewhere else on PageLines' site. I did some preliminary checks and their support seems really good compared to WP Engine..

Posted · Report post

I don't know them or of them.  Just make sure they're not a reseller. If they're not, then go for it.

Posted · Report post

Simon, I really appreciate your help but I know how to make a screen shot. I've already made it. I don't know how to attach that file here in this FORUM.

Posted · Report post

We recommend imgur.com but theres are 100's of image sharing sites on the web. You can also attach images to the actual post but the upload size is limited, we'd rather you host the image yourself.

Posted · Report post

To be honest I don't understand why I need to post a screenshot in the first place. On the Word Press admin Dashboard, the choices under PageLines are:

PageLines

Dashboard

Site Options

Page Options

Drag & Drop

Store

It is that simple. If I am on Dashboard (under PageLines) and I then click on Site Options, it takes about 12 seconds to load Site Options (sometimes up to 90 seconds). If I then click on Page Options, it takes like 12 seconds to load Page Options, If I then cllick on Drag & Drop it takes ~12 seconds or more to load Drag & Drop.

The admin panel is S - L - O - W !!!!!!

Posted · Report post

OK well I only wanted to see how many added sections were being loaded on that page.

I realise your site is S - L - O - W !!!!!! seems to me like your host isn't up to the job.

Your on dreamhost right? A search for 'dreamhost slow' gets nearly 300,000 results.

I'll let the moderators take over this post, I tried to help, and if i offended you by asking for the screenshot im sorry.

Posted · Report post

YES, I think that is a good idea. As I stated in an earlier post in answer to your question, NO SECTIONS HAVE BEEN ADDED. PERIOD. NONE. ZERO. NONE.

Thank you for your help.