Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Admin panel is slow

Question

Posted · Report post

I am new to PageLines and I am not a developer or programmer. I am a novice. Please talk to me like I were a 5 year old. No, wait, 5 year olds may know more computer talk than I do. With that out of the way, here is my problem,

I just installed PageLines recently. When I am in the dashboard and I click Site Options (as an example) sometimes the lag time is 90 seconds or more before the panel displays on the right. If I go back to Page Options (for example) it might be 4 to 9 seconds before Page Options appear.

I have deactivated ALL plugins.

I have activated a new theme (namely Twenty Twelve) and the slowness issue is greatly improved.

I have the latest version of WP running 3.5.1

Here is an exchange I had with the Host (Dreamhost). I have not figured out how to allow,deny the IP addresses yet, but as I said previously, when I deactivated PageLines the admin panel sped up considerably. Is this a unique issue? Have others experienced this? What are your ideas?

Hello,

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013, you wrote:

> When I'm in admin the response is awfully slow. It has been as slow as 90

> seconds. More often a delay in connecting and sometimes the wait time goes up

> over 5 seconds. Hopefully you'll be able to offer a solution or move you on

> to another server

> jdoughall

>

Hello J, thanks for contacting us.  I have looked at your issue and I

have found the following data on your site:

These are the IP addresses that are hitting your site the most:

25 173.58.165.176

32 12.248.40.138

869 71.204.72.139

You can see the disparity of the amount of times that the IP address

above has hit in relation to the other IP addresses.  I recommend

blocking it if you do not recognize the IP address:

wiki.dreamhost.com/Htaccess_file_overview#Deny.2FAllow_Certain_IP_Addresses

These are the scrips/files/plugins that are being called the most:

20 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/

admin/js/jquery.effects.js

20 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/admin/js/jquery.layout.js

20 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/admin/js/script.common.js

20 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/admin/js/script.settings.js

20 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/css/objects.css

25 /wp-admin/admin.php

39 /wp-includes/js/thickbox/thickbox.css

50 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/admin/css/admin.css

52 /wp-admin/css/colors-fresh.min.css

84 /wp-login.php

I do not believe that the scripts that are being called would affect the

performance of the site as much as the IP address.  I highly recommend

you block the IP address that is hitting your site and see if that

improves the performance of the site.  You may also want to contact the

theme creator to see if the amount of calls to the theme is normal.  If

you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to

contact us.

48 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Rob, I just wish someone had simply said ask your host instead of sending me pages of hoops to jump through. As I said from the start, I AM NOT A PROGRAMMER OR DEVELOPER. I have very limited skills in this area. I contacted the host and they provided th PHP information in about 2 minutes ... something that would have taken me 2 days to do. Rob, you're the first person who even suggested that. SIMON kept asking me how many sections I had loaded long after I had already told him I had loaded NO sections. ARe you folks even reading the past posts?

So how do I give you the PhP info?

Posted · Report post

Hi, OK, so we can diagnose the issue, can you provide the following information please.

1. Can you enable PageLines debug mode, which can be found in PageLines > Site Options > Advanced

2. Can you provide us with your PHP info, you can do this by following the instructions here - http://codex.wordpress.org/Finding_Server_Info

3. Can you install a free application called JING, it allows you to capture your screen by either image or video and then allows you to upload it to the web via a free screencast account.

All the instructions are on the Jing website - http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

As soon as Jing is installed, can you start a recording and then login to your Wordpress admin dashboard, so we can see the load time issue in action.

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your answer.

1. I'm not sure to fully understand your "topic strategy", but nevermind : you of course know better than me the issues.

2. I know where to find PL FAQ & doc : I never posted any question without reading them twice, and repeatedly searching forums. 

3. I do NOT compare PL with Twenty Twelve "on the same basis". Maybe I'm 3 years old, but old enough to understand the difference. That is not, and was not my point. And I did disable plugins to understand why my PL admin dashboard was slow, for instance. Quoting myself :

Actually, PL backend with no plugins at all is more or less as fast as any other light theme (vs. framework)  like Twenty Twelve.

4. I make tests again and again, and will create new topics for the points I raised which you did'nt adress (at all : read me again, If I may).

Best regards.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Love the comments about 5 year olds. I'm pretty much convinced my newborn grandson could beat me at any computer stuff now. His mom was using Paint and typing at 3... of course, she couldn't spell, like most adults today.  Odd how that condition never really improved. ;-)

In my experience, two things can cause this slowness.  First, plugin conflicts with older plugins.  Second, it could be bad server settings.

Check to make sure that any plugins you've activated are deactivated except for Akismet.  See if PageLines works faster under those circumstances.

Posted · Report post

I apologise but I didn't address your question regarding the plugins you listed above slowing down your admin dashboard. I am awaiting your new topic, to be created, then I was going to reply there. When you create this topic, can you list all the plugin you use, so I can test this myself please.

Also, provide your PHP info and enable PageLines debug.

PHP info - http://codex.wordpress.org/Finding_Server_Info
PageLines Debug - PageLines > Site Options > Advanced.

Posted · Report post

I did deactivate ALL plugins, including Askimet. The folks at my host are not very helpful. They said some IP addresses were hitting my site 800 times a day (see above) and told me to deny IP addresses but they did not tell me HOW to deny them. So I'm left where I am. :(

Posted · Report post

I'm under a similar attack now.

Do you have cPanel access?

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Martin is simply asking you to copy the post you made and create a new one.  Adding to someone else's topic is considered hijacking which we don't support.  We'll be happy to help you with a new topic.

You don't have to re-write the entire text you wrote, but we're not allowed to support this here. Thanks for your kind cooperation.

Posted · Report post

I don't think so. I've been on chat with them for about 2 hours and we finally denied the IP addresses. Lord, I'll never use Dreamhost again.

Posted · Report post

There are only three things I can suggest:

1.  iWeb

2.  Bluehost

3.  WP-Engine

All of them thoroughly capable hosts.  It may be time to change.

Posted · Report post

I'm quite impressed with Zippy Kids too. I posted on several hosts today saying I was testing to see how their support would respond. Zippy was amazing. WP Engine came in a distant 2nd.

Posted · Report post

I hope that migrating resolves your issue.

As I mentioned earlier, my own site and several tens of thousands of others are under a Denial of Service attack tonight. It's unfortunately very common.

When you  sign up with a new host, make sure you have cPanel, FTP access and a minimum of 64Mb of RAM dedicated for PHP processing. If you site is very well trafficked, up that to as much as 256Mb, though 128Mb should suffice.

Posted · Report post

All right Danny, I obviously did'nt fully understand you.

I'll do my best to post appropriate & separate topics after last tests (I don't wan't to "spam" with inaccurate - irrelevant questions), pertaining the points I initially raised :

• slow PL admin with or without plugins ?
  • PHP RAM requirements & settings for my site ?
  • CloudFlare impact (or not) on backend with shared hosted server ?

See you later "there".

And thanks again for your responsiveness.

Posted · Report post

Thank you Danny. Your instructions were clear and I think I can do what you suggested. I downloaded Jing last night and if I have time today, I will post the PHP info and the Jing video.

Posted · Report post

@Danny ... as I said at the start, I'm not a programmer/developer, etc, I'm a novice. I tried to follow the direction at wp codex and immediately ran into a problem.The instructions say to save the code as .php in a text editor. I used Apple's TextEdit and got a message that I could not save it as .php, that it had to be .rtf

At this point I think I've concluded that although PageLines is adverstised as not needing to know code, it is far above my sophistication level.

Therefore, I think I wil cancel my account and look for another framework like Woo Themes Canvas which looks much easier to use. Thank you for your help.

And to @Simon_P if you search "slow" on PageLines forum you find lots of people complaining.

Posted · Report post

Hi there. Were you able to enable debug like Danny asked in #1 above? That tells us a lot about your site's internals.

Posted · Report post

@Jenny .. I don't think you read my last post.

Posted · Report post

Hi Rob,

1. I'm sure you understood I did not intend to hijack... ;)

Since this topic is not closed / marked as resolved, and it's the only recent one I found in PL support forums concerning backend performance issues, I am taking the liberty of asking a few related additional questions here. If it's not relevant, forgive me and tell me if I should post somewhere else.

2. I just wondered if It might not be better for the community of support forums users to avoid redundancy of topics (same question asked and asked again, one way or another, especially when no all-embracing tutorial / doc / FAQ is avalaible). Looking at it in this way, I thought we had a good example here : my questions were (well, mostly, IMO...) related to a recently presented problem and its subsequent Q&A and informations. I hope you understood my underlying reasoning ;)

3. That beeing said, I'll abide by your instructions - guidelines and will create a new topic, trying to make it useful (for me... and others !), clear... and not redundant.

Thanks to both of you Martin & Rob for your responsiveness.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

The reason as to why we ask users to create a new topic even if the issues are similar, is that most of the time, our users will either ask another question or the issues end up not being similar.

Now if we didn't do this, when other PageLines users are using the search function for answers to their issues, the topic that they think holds the answer to their issue actually ends up not even being related.

You can find our FAQ and documentation here:

http://support.pagelines.me/faq/

http://support.pagelines.me/docs/

Regarding your issue to your poor load time for your admin dashboard, this is most likely caused by either plugins installed, poor hosting or a server configuration issue.

Also comparing Twenty Ten, Eleven or Twelve isn't really an accurate comparison as none of the default Wordpress themes comes with the amount of options, features or functionality thats included with PageLines Framework.

I have several test sites and never encountered a slow loading admin dashboard so I recommend you disable all your plugins, clear your cache and see if this improves load time. If it doesn't improve then create a new topic and provide the following the information:

You PHPinfo, you can learn how to do this here - http://codex.wordpress.org/Finding_Server_Info

Enable PageLines Debug mode - (PageLines > Site Options > Advanced)

Posted · Report post

Thanks Rob. Now if I can just figure out how to use PageLines i'll be set. The start up training is terrible. They should look at Woo Themes Canvas videos to get an idea what training looks like.

Posted · Report post

You can find our documentation here, videos are good but they become out dated rather fast and this only leads to confusing the users even more.

http://support.pagelines.me/docs/

Posted · Report post

Back to my original problem. Why does WP admin speed up considerably when I DE-activate PageLines and just use a free WP theme like Twenty Eleven?

As for the documents, they should be compiled into a singe PDF for download.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

None of the things Danny requested required coding or programming. Everything was incredibly basic and rudimentary and would apply no matter what theme or framework you used.  I completely understand if you're frustrated and upset. I would be too, but please realize that frustration is with the condition, not the help we are trying to provide.

To get a PHP info file, call your host and ask them for it if you're uncomfortable creating and uploading a file. They should be able to do this for you quite easily.

Let me say, in response to your statement about many who've posted here in the forum about slow sites that this issue is not PageLines but servers.  Most of those who've experienced this condition have used incredibly inexpensive and resource-poor hosting which doesn't provide the necessary minimums for speedy processing.

Candidly, I've experienced this problem myself and through trial, error and investigation, discovered that the traffic to my site increased, pulling more resources than available.  I ultimately had to get the host to increase the resources by migrating my account to a bigger, better one.

I assure you that Simon, Danny and Jenny are trying very hard to help you but they need to see certain settings and conditions to determine how best to point you in the right direction.  Since you're unable to provide screenshots, I'll provide you with a generic set of simply instructions that should help.

1.  Call your host and ask them what the available RAM is for PHP processing.

2.  If the number is less than 64 MegaBytes (Mb), kindly ask them to increase those resources to a minimum of 64Mb, but preferably 128Mb.

3.  If they refuse or make excuses, contact Bluehost or WP-Engine, which have WordPress ready servers capable of handling your account.  They could even help with migration.  Any host who refuses or makes excuses for that request doesn't, quite honestly, deserve your business.

WordPress itself uses many PHP resources - these are the things it processes, like posts, pages, blog pages, etc.  Admittedly, PageLines does add more processes as will any other framework because we use things like sections, custom post types, etc.  That's why when changing to default themes, the speed picks up.  But then, you get much less.   

If you put it in the context of a car, you only need regular gasoline to run a Chevy or a Toyota. But if you're going to drive that candy red Ferrari or the racing green Lotus, then you need premium gasoline.  Liken that gasoline to the RAM available.  Less than 32Mb and you're running on fumes. Soon, you'll run out of gasoline and the site will stop or slow down to a crawl.

There is a learning curve for absolutely any theme or framework, and indeed, for WordPress itself. If you still desire a refund, please write to hello@pagelines.com as these are not processed through the forum.

I hope this helps to alleviate some of your speed issues and concerns.

Posted · Report post

Is the loading time only effecting your Wordpress admin dashboard or is it your site too ?

Can you provide a link to the site in question please.

Posted · Report post

P.S., Dreamhost gave me a URL to the PHP data but I'm not sure I want to post a URL on a public forum