• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 katemhamilton

katemhamilton

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Framework Version:Version 1.2.8

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:32 AM

I have been having a number of issues with my websites. My main website www.logansquarist.com has incredibly slow load times, especially on the backend, and I experience numerous 500 internal server errors.

I have hosting on a shared server, and I'm aware that this can have a contribution (I'm looking into this particular option but it's not a realistic change yet). I checked this forum and noticed the recommendation to use this site: 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I did and found that my site shares server space with 20 other sites.

I also did some testing with theme test drive. When I switch my theme to a base theme, the site speed quickly increases. Because of this, I'm not sure my issue is strictly a plugin issue (although I'm not ruling it out).

Is there something else I should be checking to determine if there's something wrong with my Pagelines installation? Any help would be really appreciated. 

Thanks.

#2 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

Looking at that, all the framework files load pretty quick, tho you do have a missing css file, 

Also you have nearly 5Mb of images on one page, thats a HUGE amount for people to download b4 the page is viewable.

Fix the missing css file, and reduce your image sizes. Then try the test again.

The initial 19s wait time could be a poorly configured or overloaded server/VPS or overloaded database server, or even bad networking, you'd have to ask your host about that.

#3 katemhamilton

katemhamilton

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

Adding, when I make updates, I often get 404 errors. Refreshing, I often get 500 internal server errors. Updating posts and making simple changes seem to take twice as long. If I switch again to a different theme, using Theme Test Drive, I can post and make updates fairly quickly.

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

Hi Kate,

It may simply be as Simon pointed out, that your hosting company has you on an overloaded VPS or, your server's settings don't provide sufficient RAM for PHP processing. 

He's absolutely correct that 5Mb is a big load for most browsers and will take quite a long time to load.  My own site was at 2.1Mb and slowed down on a dedicated server.  I'd concur with him that the number of images or their size should be adjusted.

One means of this might be to use a graphics editor and not rely (if you are) on WordPress resizing or scaling images.  That will reduce file sizes.

#5 katemhamilton

katemhamilton

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

Thanks @Simon_P and @Rob. I'll definitely work on the images. Based on this feedback, I'm assuming the original image is being called to set the feature image (both in the post snippet and the slider) rather than a resized version. Do you know if this is correct?

I've contacted my hosting server to work on that side of things. 

My main concern, however, is when I switch to Pagelines as the theme, the site really slow, however, if I use a Wordpress base theme, the site loads faster. This is just an informal test, but could there be an explanation for that?

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

WordPress creates 3 sizes which may be set in Dashboard > Settings > Media.   If you set the featured image, make sure you're selecting the 150px x 150px size.  But personally, I never trust this because some browsers load the full size image.  So yes, that's correct.

The speed issue with PageLines may simply be the way it loads things if your server doesn't have the PHP resources to handle any extra load.

My own site was experiencing the same things on a former host with a VPS.  I finally gave up as they wouldn't increase the RAM for PHP processing. Every time three people came in, my site would crash. Now it doesn't.

I've also set up a number of sites on VPS where the settings are better.  The best for these are Bluehost and WP Engine.