Photo
- - - - -

Pagelines Custom Drop Down Menu

Best Answer Rob , 28 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Hi Ted,

The drop down arrow is pretty much a standard across the web design world, however, there are many options out there which may be applied using Framework.  The way to change this is to apply a new menu using CSS.  You can find many CSS and CSS3 options here: http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/

You are able to customize almost anything in PageLines Framework.  The key is simply a basic knowledge of stylesheets.  This link may help you learn more about CSS: http://www.w3schools.com/css/

Firebug for Firefox as well as Chrome's Inspection Tool (built-in) are excellent assets for finding and testing CSS.  Some customization tips may be found at http://support.pagelines.me/docs/customization/customization-methods/  and http://support.pagel...ion/custom-css/

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tmartin

tmartin

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Hello.  I find the pagelines drop down menu system which utilizes a small arrow icon troublesome for many of my site viewers.  They do not realize that there are more options under the small arrow.  I have two questions:

1.  Why would we want to utilize this type of manual menu?  Versus.... The menu system I am looking to achieve automatically highlights and drops down (reveals sub menus) when you hover over the top menu item.  

#1 above is an active effort on the part of the visitor and #2 above is automatic as you move across the menu.

2.  Is there a plug-in to achieve this?  Or something else?  I have searched plug-ins and most are not related to the pagelines theme or require you to modify the functions.php code....which I understand I should not be doing?

I am a novice to wordpress and pagelines and appreciate any guidance.

Thank you,

Ted

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:34 PM   Best Answer

Hi Ted,

The drop down arrow is pretty much a standard across the web design world, however, there are many options out there which may be applied using Framework.  The way to change this is to apply a new menu using CSS.  You can find many CSS and CSS3 options here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

You are able to customize almost anything in PageLines Framework.  The key is simply a basic knowledge of stylesheets.  This link may help you learn more about CSS:

as well as Chrome's Inspection Tool (built-in) are excellent assets for finding and testing CSS.  Some customization tips may be found at

and

#3 tmartin

tmartin

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Thank you for the reply.  I found a small check box in the paglines framework that allows for the drop down to appear when you hover over the menu.  The location of this check box was not where I had expected it.

My next question is the footer links.  Now that my Nav Menu has drop downs, the "Parent" page (the top level menu item) is not clickable on the Nav bar....only the sub menus when you hover over the top menu item.  However, the footer navigation shows the top level menu items and links to those pages....which are blank.

How is this situation normally handled?  Where are the footer links controlled?  My website is OfallonFEC.com

Thank you,

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

The Footer links are controlled by SimpleNav, which can be set in Appearance > Menus > Theme Location. You need to determine which custom menu SimpleNav should use.

#5 tmartin

tmartin

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

That was exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you much for the guidance and quick reply.

#6 pehja

pehja

Advocate

• Members

• 560 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Framework Version:Pagelines v2.4.3 and DMS

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Hi Ted,

The drop down arrow is pretty much a standard across the web design world, however, there are many options out there which may be applied using Framework.  The way to change this is to apply a new menu using CSS.  You can find many CSS and CSS3 options here:

How cool was that! But how can I implement this in PageLines