• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 webguru36

webguru36

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hi,

I want the Author page to display the Authors photo, name, short bio at the top of the page... and their posts underneath.

If I drag the PostAuthor section to my Author page, the info displays. But the Biographical Information all runs together. I tried adding line breaks" <br />" but it does not work. I guess WordPress strips them out.

Next, I tried using the Profiles section and I like the layout/look better (I can add html and format the text however I like). I actually prefer this method. However I can't seem to figure out how to get the Authors profile (and only their profile) to display on their particular Author page.

Any advice for using each/either of the methods above or a different method all together?

(Site is currently under development in protected directory which is why I have not posted a link)

See screen shot attached. It shows two different author pages side-by-side. I have both PostAuthor and Profile sections at the top of the page. I will not use both, just wanted to show you how these were looking on each page. Also note that the profile for Joseph shows up on both Author pages.

Thanks,

Danielle

Attached Files

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

If you were to use the second option and you want only that author's profile to show on that page, CSS may be required to hide the others (more specifically, the display: none attribute). I can't say for certain without a link, however.

#3 webguru36

webguru36

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Hi Catrina,

Below is the login info to access for the page. I would like to know more about how do go about using the CSS. In the profile admin options screen (under Profiles) it has CSS Classes. I created CSS class for each profile.

author-joseph-zingales and author-masteradmin. Not sure what I need to do next to make this work.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

you will need to use the username/password below:
dturk/13powerhourweb!

#4 webguru36

webguru36

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Hi Catrina, Can you take another look using the link and login info I sent? I would greatly appreciate any help. I've tried contacting the developer of the Profiles section but have not received a response yet.

Thanks again!

Danielle

#5 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

Hi,

Do you want something like this?

#6 webguru36

webguru36

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:05 AM

Hi,

yes, I like that. How did you accomplish this?

thanks!

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

Simple static page with an image embedded into the content, aligned left for the text.

The list of blog posts are created easily. A category is created for each author.  When this happens, WP assigns a category number.  Make a note of it.

Install and activate

, a free plugin. This uses a custom shortcode. Here's an example straight from that page.

This bit: srp_filter_cat_option='1032'  controls the category. Replace 1032 with the category number you noted earlier.

You can play with these options and tweak it to suit your needs.  Here's

. Please read it thoroughly.  We can't provide support for a third-party item. So it's important to learn it from the resources.

At the bottom of your page, after the closing ], on the next line, use WordPress to create a link to the category page.  Why? Because this will only show X posts from the author and you may have more. The WP specialy page generated when you created the category will have every post by the author.   Just make sure to carefully categorize your author posts.

#8 webguru36

webguru36

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Sounds good thanks for all the great help. I just have one more question.

On your home page (

), if I click on the author "Robert XXXXXXX" shown for the first Blog Entry it takes me to his Author page showing all his posts. How, instead, can I have this go to one of the Author Category pages you described?

Thanks,

Danielle

#9 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Danielle,

That's a good question.  The Meta is set by shortcode in Dashboard > PageLines > Site Optons > Blog and Posts.  You'd have to amend the shortcode and candidly, that's not my particular expertise.

Somehow, the shortcode must include or call the default URL / the author name so that link goes to your static page for the author.

You may need a Pro for this via

unless someone else knows how this is best done.

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Hi Danielle,

You'll install from our Store in Themes, the Base Theme. Activate it.

FTP into your site and go to wp-content/themes/pagelines-template-theme and edit the functions.php.

At the very end of the file, paste this:

Save it and re-upload it to the server.

The shortcode you place in Meta via Blog and Posts is now [post_author_cat] (replace the older one) and there is a new profile field in the user area called author custom category... you just add the profile url for the static page there.  The url must be the full one for the static page.

Browse to the site, check the user's name by clicking on it and you should go directly to that author's page.

#11 webguru36

webguru36

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Can I install the Base theme if I'm already using the iBlogPro theme? I am not familiar with how this works and don't want to lose everything I've created so far?

#12 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Try the code in the pagelines-customization plugins functions.php