Photo
- - - - -

Permanent Info on Header

Best Answer ellenmva , 27 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

You can make the email address open up the users email program by creating a custom link for the menu and in the url field put mailto:joe@email.com (put the actual email address) and in the label put the email address or whatever you want (Email Me, i.e.).  For the phone number create a custom link and in the url field put # and then put the phone number in the label.

It's not perfect but makes it so you don't have to mess with hooks.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chisim11

chisim11

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Florida
  • Framework Version:2.22

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

My site > 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Im trying to do the following:

1) Add my phone number and "email me" on the header as part of the navigation and have them both in a different color so it would stand up.

2) Have the phone number as a title, in other words, so it would not open up a page, or be linkable.

3) Be able to click on the "email me"  and open up the email program for the user.

I added my "phone number" and "e-mail me" as pages as I could not find any other way to add as just titles.

An example of the above can be found on this site >

Thanks!

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16247 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Hi,

For something like this, you will need to use a hook, I recommend you either use the Action Map plugin to find the correct hook location or use the Hooker plugin.

See this topic as an example - 

#3 chisim11

chisim11

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Danny,

So I installed the action map which I activated. However, cannot find it on the header.  I also looked for information about "hook" as I have no clue what the "hook" and the "action map" does but unable to find it on the support area. Can you tell me in layman terms exactly what "hooks" do and how to make it work? or perhaps the link for video or documentation about this. Thanks. 

#4 chisim11

chisim11

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Ok. So I found the "actionmap" on the header which I turned on. Now, I have no clue what to do or how this works.

#5 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16247 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

The ActionMap plugin provides you with all hooks available on your page, which you can use in your hook.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide you the custom code needed to achieve your layout. If you're not comfortable with custom CSS or code. I recommend you contact one of our Pros for assistance.

(

)

#6 chisim11

chisim11

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Im not asking you to provide me with a custom code..... I'm asking for information about hooks. It is obvious from other members that information about this is very limited. Pagelines needs to understand that many of the members are not developers or hardcore website builders. The impression that I had before I purchased pageline products (platform pro and pagelines frameworks) was that this was very user friendly. Now, it is beyond me that I would need custom CSS or code to simply add my email info or phone number on the navigation bar. Very frustrating!!!

#7 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16247 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

I understand that some of our users are not web developers and information regarding hooks will be added to our documentation soon. Also, PageLines Framework is very user friendly however, what you wish to achieve with the navigation bar, isn't something that is standard for a navigation bar. Therefore, it will require a custom code.

The Navigation bar is a Navigation bar and the main purpose of any navigation bar is to house menu links, if you wish to add your email address and other contact details, you will need to use hook. You can add these details as menu items and remove the link but that is not what you want.

So if you wish to add plain text and an email link, you will require a hook. There is no other way around it.

For more information about hooks, please review the Wordpress 

Use the above information in conjunction with the Action Map plugin. You can also use the store product Hooker.

#8 ellenmva

ellenmva

Advocate

• Members

• 330 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:44 PM   Best Answer

You can make the email address open up the users email program by creating a custom link for the menu and in the url field put mailto:joe@email.com (put the actual email address) and in the label put the email address or whatever you want (Email Me, i.e.).  For the phone number create a custom link and in the url field put # and then put the phone number in the label.

It's not perfect but makes it so you don't have to mess with hooks.

#9 mackenzie

mackenzie

Advocate

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Hi - were you able to get the email working with the suggestion above? Please let me know if you still need assistance with hooks if you are using them.

#10 chisim11

chisim11

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Hello, 

I just happen to read this thread w/your response. Never saw it before. Anyways, I was able to do it and added a "stand-out" color to it which I've been try to replicate in another site since but cant. see how it looks on my site > 

I went to the css custom code and added 

#site .stand-out a { color: #E01; }

which i thought will turn the name on the title in red color but didnt. reviewed other ccs codes but do not believe has anything to do w/it.

I would appreciate it if you know how. 

thanks

#11 chisim11

chisim11

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

Please disregard. I was able to figure it out. 

Thanks.