Photo
Better-Carousel

Just wanted responsive design

better carousel

Best Answer beardedavenger , 25 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

3rd party sections work with child themes and the main framework, they do not have any "issues" at all. Again, it's up to the theme author to provide styling support.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cloudindigo

cloudindigo

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Hello

I just purchased the Better-Carousel section. Love the improvement regarding responsive layout for mobile devices. But. Don't love the formatting compared to the original - I'm using the iBlogPro5 theme. And have switched back to the original carousel as a result.

Is it possible to just implement the responsive capability and leave the rest of the settings based on the original carousel?

#2 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'm not exactly sure what you mean? The Carousels have the same functionality with the exception of Flickr RSS. Better Carousel doesn't require the extra plugin to work.

#3 cloudindigo

cloudindigo

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

There isn't any extra plug-in. But a child theme has been applied - PageLines iBlogPro5.  The standard carousel picks up the theme style. It seems the better-carousel doesn't. I thought it would as the notes indicated it uses the same logic.

I've created a page to demonstrate: http://www.joiningdots.com/temp/

The first carousel is the standard one - looks nice but isn't as responsive. The second carousel is the better-carousel - is responsive but doesn't look as nice. I'd like to keep the formatting but with the responsive approach, without having to recreate the theme css if possible.

#4 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

iBlogPro5 has special styling for that carousel. It's nothing to do with the carousel itself, it's the styling from the child theme. The selectors in Better Carousel are different.

#5 cloudindigo

cloudindigo

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

So does that mean the better-carousel can't pick up the styling? Because if so, it would help if you made it clear in the notes that it doesn't work well with sites using a PageLines child theme. I adore your bad-ass shortcodes - they are fab! But I feel like I have wasted my money purchasing this add-in. Bit frustrated as it seemed like the perfect improvement.

#6 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

No it's not going to pick up the styling, because iBlogPro5 has specific styling for the core Carousel section, not my 3rd party section. iBlogPro5 was out LONG before my section was.

An yes it works beautifully with a child theme. It's up to the child theme author to provide styling support for 3rd party sections.

The section (as with EVERY one of my sections) uses core LESS variables that match themselves to the background color of the site.

#7 cloudindigo

cloudindigo

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

Can I suggest you include that in the notes for this and any other sections: 'please note it's up to child theme authors to provide styling support for 3rd party sections to match to the theme'. Might sound obvious in hindsight but had I known, I wouldn't have purchased it. I will assume the same applies to other sections and stick with the core features. Shame - your work is great. I was eyeing up the super widgets and others but guess they will all have the same issue.  

Seems the 3rd party sections are only really useful for people who create and maintain their own child theme.

#8 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:18 PM   Best Answer

3rd party sections work with child themes and the main framework, they do not have any "issues" at all. Again, it's up to the theme author to provide styling support.

#9 Tang

Tang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt - Germany
  • Framework Version:2.4.4

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

whoever might be interested in Customization the Design of Better-Carousel for iBlogPro5 … get some CSS here: http://www.pagelines...-for-iblogpro5/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Better-Carousel, better carousel