Photo
- - - - -

Featured Posts slider?

Best Answer Danny , 24 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

Hi Daniel,

The Carousel will allow you to display your posts feature thumbnail, which upon click will take your readers to that post.

The other option is to use the Features Section and use the populate by posts method, see our features documentation for more information.

http://support.pagel...tions/features/

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 danielj

danielj

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:37 AM

I want to do a slider of featured posts, not just images. I want it to grab any posts from a specific category (in this case, _Featured). Something like what you see here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

This is the old site, which I am in the process of redoing. You can see where I'm at at

Can I do that with PageLines Framework? If not, how can I integrate Slidedeck or another slider into the same position that the slider or carousel would show up in PageLines? I have a shortcode for Slidedeck if there is some place I can plug it in. I want this to show up on blog pages, below the header.

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

Hi,

Easy as pie!

First, you can use settings to have slides based on a category.  The settings will let you set a specific category for your posts to display and a number of posts. As long as your images for posts in the category are the size needed, you'll be able to show slides just like the example you provided.

One secret... make the background color the same color as the site background, then using your graphics editor, make it transparent.  Simply paste the photo into the slide on the side where you want it to appear, but make sure the slides are consistent in size and as wide as needed to fill the space.

Using Firebug for Firefox (

) or Chrome's Inspection Tools, adjust the width of the overlay, its color (transparent is good) and the color, size and weight of the fonts in the overlay.  Copy the tested code to Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options > Custom Code.

Now all you need to do is remember to keep your titles reasonably short and that the excerpt field in the post will provide the excerpt in the slider. The rest is simple settings.

#3 danielj

danielj

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

Thank you for the prompt reply. Can you be a bit more specific as to where I'll find the settings that I need? The only options I see for the mode in Carousel are:

Post Thumbnails (default) - Uses links and thumbnails from posts
Flickr - Uses thumbs from FlickrRSS plugin.
NextGen Gallery - Uses an image gallery from the NextGen Gallery Plugin

and there is a 4th one in the dropdown - Hook: pagelines_carousel_list.

How would I get a featured post (including a title and an excerpt of the text) rather than just a thumbnail as you see now for test.whatsthatbug.com?

I'm missing something...

Thanks,

Daniel

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16526 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:58 AM   Best Answer

Hi Daniel,

The Carousel will allow you to display your posts feature thumbnail, which upon click will take your readers to that post.

The other option is to use the Features Section and use the populate by posts method, see our features documentation for more information.

#5 danielj

danielj

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

Thank you! That is awesome. I am quite happy with the way that looks.

#6 danielj

danielj

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

Well, I decided I'm not *entirely* happy with the way it looks. The photo needs to not stretch to take up the entire Feature. But I'm stuck on how to fix it. Do I have any control over the size and cropping of the photo that gets used as the featured image? I want the Features to look like "Set 1" at about 1 minute into the video at

or kinda like the slider at

, but I am not finding where/how to make that happen. No matter what I set the options for in Feature Setup Options, they always look the same - with a photo that spans the entire feature and white text on the left. These are post pulled from the _Featured category, not individually created Features, if that makes a difference.

#7 danielj

danielj

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Can I please get a bit more assistance with this? I really need to get this fixed, and I haven't made much headway on my own. The current version I'm working on is at

The photo needs to not stretch to take up the entire Feature. But I'm stuck on how to fix it. Do I have any control over the size and cropping of the photo that gets used as the featured image? I want the Features to look like "Set 1" at about 1 minute into the video at

or kinda like the slider at

, but I am not finding where/how to make that happen. No matter what I set the options for in Feature Setup Options, they always look the same - with a photo that spans the entire feature and white text on the left. These are post pulled from the _Featured category, not individually created Features, if that makes a difference.

Alternately, if I want to put a different slider in that same space, how can I do that? I have one that just needs a shortcode [featuredposts] added to the right place that I'd like to try, but I don't know where to put the shortcode.