Photo
CatLoop

Sections vs. Plugins

Best Answer anthalis , 28 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Hi Suzy,

Now I finally get the question with the section vs. plugin (I wear a thick pumpkin on my shoulders sometimes :D ).

If you remember, when you first installed the Framework, you were asked to install the PageLines Sections plugin before being able to download anything from the store. That is because the store sections depend on the existence of this plugin since its directory is their "home" after installation.

As a rule, in PageLines, any section that does not come natively with the framework (namely any section you install from the store, free or paid) will appear within the PageLines Sections directory under Plugins. It's just the way it works.

For future reference: All in all you have 3 places where your sections are/can be stored:

1. Native PL sections (ready for use) - under wp-content/themes/pagelines/sections;

2. Store sections (free and premium) - under wp-content/plugins/pagelines-sections/ [the-section-directory]

3. Child theme specific sections - under wp-content/themes/your-custom-child-theme {can be a theme you build or a child theme bought from the store}/sections

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 suzyo

suzyo

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Hierarchy: I can't figure this out. I bought CatLoop (which is great) and it is supposed to be a section.

I find it here: 

Also, these sections are listed in Plugins > Pageline- sections: 

Is this the way it's supposed to be? Thanks.

#2 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Yes, all looks right there.

#3 anthalis

anthalis

Advanced Member

• Members

• 60 posts
  • Framework Version:Dev. Latest. Always.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:00 PM   Best Answer

Hi Suzy,

Now I finally get the question with the section vs. plugin (I wear a thick pumpkin on my shoulders sometimes :D ).

If you remember, when you first installed the Framework, you were asked to install the PageLines Sections plugin before being able to download anything from the store. That is because the store sections depend on the existence of this plugin since its directory is their "home" after installation.

As a rule, in PageLines, any section that does not come natively with the framework (namely any section you install from the store, free or paid) will appear within the PageLines Sections directory under Plugins. It's just the way it works.

For future reference: All in all you have 3 places where your sections are/can be stored:

1. Native PL sections (ready for use) - under wp-content/themes/pagelines/sections;

2. Store sections (free and premium) - under wp-content/plugins/pagelines-sections/ [the-section-directory]

3. Child theme specific sections - under wp-content/themes/your-custom-child-theme {can be a theme you build or a child theme bought from the store}/sections

#4 suzyo

suzyo

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Thank you SO MUCH, Anthalis! BTW, did you do the cat illustration? It's adorable. Thanks again from a fellow pumpkin head. - Suzy

#5 anthalis

anthalis

Advanced Member

• Members

• 60 posts
  • Framework Version:Dev. Latest. Always.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

:))

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CatLoop