Photo
- - - - -

New page with all blogposts

posts page postloop

Best Answer Rob , 25 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Hi Floris,

Let me apologize in advance if I've misunderstood this...

While WordPress index (home) page will call the number of posts set in Dashboard > Settings > Reading, it may be overridden by a static homepage.  These will not have posts on them unless you use a plugin like Special Recent Posts.  However, if you create a page called blog, news or anything you desire, you may set that to be the blog page in the lower of the two drop downs at the Reading settings page.

This will automatically pull the same number of posts as a default homepage.  However, no matter what template you apply, it will still show as using the Blog template.  The reason for this is that PageLines is applying the Special Page template to allow the blog posts to be formatted cleanly and without interference.  If you want to add things like sliders, boxes, etc, you may apply them to the Blog template in Drag & Drop.

You may read more about static Blog pages and Front pages.  A blank page will invariably result when the blog page isn't set up correctly or if the incorrect sections are added or subtracted in the template.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 florisvc

florisvc

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hi,

In 'Settings > Reading' I have set 'Front page displays' to 'latest posts'. But that homepage has loads of other stuff.

I would like to create another 'clean' homepage for the blogposts only. 

I have tried to drag & drop the 'postloop' into the content area of 'template 2' and created a new page titled "Blog" with this template... but this doesn't do the trick. It shows an empty page. What am I missing? 

How to create a second home for blogposts only? Preferably with title, date posted, featured image, some text, nr of comments.

Man thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Floris

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17945 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Hi Floris,

When you use the Wordpress Static pages setting, your homepage will be not be able to contain posts without a little help. In order to add your posts, or display a few of your latest posts you will either need to use a plugin such as Special Recent Posts or a section such as AnyLoop.

Also, for your interest Wordpress only allows one blog page, if you require more then you will need to use categories.

#3 anachison

anachison

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3 / child theme based on base theme

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for the response, Danny - 

I understand that Wordpress assigns the the index page for blog posts, but we often will be able to run a query/loop on a page template to produce a set of posts (e.g. certain category posts, custom post types, etc).

In our case, we would like to run loop (default, most recent first) on the home page (in addition to maintaining the blog page) and use wordpress tags to pull tags, post-meta, excerpt, thumbnail, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

82.18KB   8 downloads

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:58 PM   Best Answer

Hi Floris,

Let me apologize in advance if I've misunderstood this...

While WordPress index (home) page will call the number of posts set in Dashboard > Settings > Reading, it may be overridden by a static homepage.  These will not have posts on them unless you use a plugin like Special Recent Posts.  However, if you create a page called blog, news or anything you desire, you may set that to be the blog page in the lower of the two drop downs at the Reading settings page.

This will automatically pull the same number of posts as a default homepage.  However, no matter what template you apply, it will still show as using the Blog template.  The reason for this is that PageLines is applying the Special Page template to allow the blog posts to be formatted cleanly and without interference.  If you want to add things like sliders, boxes, etc, you may apply them to the Blog template in Drag & Drop.

You may read more about static

and

.  A blank page will invariably result when the blog page isn't set up correctly or if the incorrect sections are added or subtracted in the template.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: posts, page, postloop