• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 butcher

butcher

• Members

• 29 posts
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

There is a big issue with translating sidebar names. If you translate Primary Sidebar, Secondary Sidbar etc i .mo file then they will disappear. This issue is long present. I thought someone will fix the problem by now but many updates were introduced and this problem still exists.

If I remember good I already told someone from the Staff from PL about it month ago...

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4985 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Hi there, I've checked this out for you and been advised you can't edit an mo file as its a compiled translation file.

There's no way translating the text should cause the sidebar to disappear, so we're assuming you mean the translation stops?

Every time there is an update you will have to update the translation files in order for them to continue working.

#3 butcher

butcher

• Members

• 29 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

No, I didn't edit .mo file. I'm an advanced user I (i think) know what I'm saying... I'm using and translating Pagelines Lang Files through Translation Center. The issue is that translating 'Primary Sidebar' to polish as 'Pierwszy Sidebar' removes all widgets from it. So I have to remove translation in order to get them back in place.

Another thing is that translation files should be placed elsewhere - either a child theme or some other place to NOT upload it every time I want to update PL. Do you agree that this is kinda annoying ?

#4 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

Yes the file is supposed to go in the customize plugin folder, its never overwritten.

Check out the how to edit a string with poedit post, tells you where to put the files there.

#5 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

That post is located here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#6 butcher

butcher

• Members

• 29 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

Pagelines Customize Plugin - Good tip - it works. Thx.

And what about those sidebar translations ? Thats pretty wierd....

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

Anything that's in a .po/.mo file like Primary Sidebar or so on, may be edited using PoEdit or our Translation Center.

Any content added to a sidebar should be edited either in the site or if it's a plugin, from the plugin or the .po file.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: language, sidebar, translation