• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 progressive01

progressive01

Advanced Member

• Members

• 79 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Hi,  I just set a website live which had been developed on a hosting url. Once set live none of the permalinks updated. Do you have any tips to make sure in the future this does occur. In the end we had to go through an manually change all of them. Each internal link had been assigned the full hosting url. Any tips to make sure the next go live is much smoother would be appreciated.

Many thanks

#2 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Wordpress stores urls like images etc, when you upload and change from a staging url to a live url yes you have to change them all.

There are various ways to not go through this nitemare and the best one is this:

Use MAMP.

With MAMP you can use virtual hosts locally.

Lets say i want to design a site for awesomebanana.com, when i upload i dont want all the urls to be

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

do i?

So with MAMP you use local dynamic virtual hosts, i setup the domain  awesomebanana.com in MAMP and install a new wordpress, when i enter  awesomebanana.com in my browser it will load the localhost version so i can develop away and as far as wordpress is concerned the host is indeed  awesomebanana.com.

Then i can upload the files to the real live host and the whole database knowing that all internal urls never need fixing.

Thats the right way to do it, of course there are plugins and hacks to go through the database changing

to  

but they are a real pain and not always 100%.

#3 progressive01

progressive01

Advanced Member

• Members

• 79 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

Thank you Simon, ekk bit late for some I have in development. Is this just a pagelines issue, on other systems I have used it has switched over straight away. Perhaps we are better to build live, with a fake home page that says website coming soon? Will have a good look at MAMP though.

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

Hi there,

No its not a Pagelines issue, all wordpress installs will be the same regardless of the theme. Another option is to find a plugin which will update your urls, I've featured two below for you.

You can built sites live, there are plugins that will put up a holding page, unfortunately it blocks you and support from viewing the site though whilst developing and some have been known to conflict with the framework.

#5 progressive01

progressive01

Advanced Member

• Members

• 79 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

Thanks James, I will check these out, sounds like the updating plugins are the best option. Really needed whenbuilding a lrage site with lots of cross links! Even all the images needed re linking - headache!

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

Hope it helps, if you need any further info please let us know, if not please mark the thread resolved :)