Photo
- - - - -

Help To Work-Around Bizarre IE Stuff

IE Browser Specific CSS

Best Answer crash , 10 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

Hi James, 

yes, I believe that I have been doing so.

But in verifying that indeed I was, I noticed that the subtle 'body.ie9' amendments I had incorporated previously were no longer working either...I thought maybe I'd deactivated the Browser Specific CSS plugin, but I had not.

So I removed the .ie9 from body.ie9 (thus forcing those subtle changes to all browsers, in theory, right?) and checked the results using Chrome. Of course, the changes were there. Put .ie9 back into body.ie9 and they disappear from Chrome, but do not get applied to IE9...it makes no sense to me.

So just now, I deactivated and deleted the Browser Specific CSS Plugin (thinking maybe, just maybe there was some kind of corrupt install), then re-installed it and...hey presto...body.ie9 and .ie .searchform .searchfield CSS mods are being applied as expected. 

I truly have no idea if it was me, IE, the plugin, another plugin, or a mixture of all, but right now, at this moment...it's working.

So I guess that technically speaking you can close this out as solved, but I would like to be able to return to post a follow-up for other readers who may be interested in the final success/failure outcome of the IE Minor/Sub Version Browser Blocking.   

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 crash

crash

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

Hello PageLiners,

I desperately need some help to work around a couple of bizarre IE-specific problems that I cannot seem to solve - I hope that some of you out there have solved these things previously.

As background (just in case it's important) I'm using PageLines Framework with a Child Theme (that is essentially clean - no funky stuff). I do have both PageLines and third-party plugins installed.

I also have PageLines Browser Specific CSS installed and active. I am using IE9 and their spastic IE8 & IE7 Compatability Development Modes for testing.

The Immediate Problems:

1) No matter what I do, I cannot get the paragraph font in IE to be a normal or light weight. It renders as if it is bold - always.
The Browser Specific CSS helps to a degree - it'll change font colour, size, etc, but no change to weight. Inherit doesn't work, numeric values don't work and neither do keywords such as 'lighter'. 

2) The Search Bar....Grrrr (images attached) - nothing I seem to target with the Browser Specific CSS (whether specified as ie, ie8, or ie9) helps: neither .searchform  or .searchform .searchfield.  

Clearly I'm attacking the wrong element or going about it the wrong way.
(

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

describes what i think is a similar problem).

3) I am so frustrated with the bizarre results that IE generate, I truly would like help to be able to automatically redirect all IE Browsers less than Version: 8.0.6001.18702 to a page "Please Upgrade Or Please Leave & Don't Bother Returning" page (a major client with literally thousands of standard desktops continues to use Version: 8.0.6001.18702).

I have tried with third-party plugins and .htaccess, but none have any effect whatsoever, so I assume that PageLines, somewhere, is over-riding both.       

I second the comments contained here:

regarding an out-of-the-box option to prompt IE8 users to "Please Upgrade Or Please Leave & Don't Bother Returning"   

I realise that there are many issues contained in this post, but somebody...please help - even if it is just a solution for point 3).

Many Thanks 

Attached Files

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15163 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

Hi,

1 and 2, are you viewing the site in IE compatibility mode, if so disable it and view your sites in services such as Adobe BrowserLab or BrowserStack. As far as I am aware the IE compatibility mode only caused more issues.

3. You could try using this plugin - 

#3 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Please let us know if Danny's suggestions above made any improvements.

#4 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Crash please edit you post title and post content removing the s word. This is a public forum

#5 crash

crash

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

Danny, Catrina, Simon, everyone:

First off, thanks Danny, for your rapid reply: much appreciated.

Having further investigated IE9 Compatibility Modes (IE7, IE8, IE9 & IE9 Compatibility Browser Modes, and 'Quirks Mode, IE7, IE8 and IE9 Document Standards Modes), I think that (surprisingly) these tools provide a pretty close approximation of what developers can expect to see on those Browser Clients. 

I had a look at your recommended plugin, Danny, but opted instead for another called

(the irony is that I searched WP Plugins using about 1 million variations of "Browser/PHP/UserAgent/Redirect", but basically came up empty).

The Browser Detection plugin (in my opinion) required far too much additional PHP coding to be of immediate use.

Browser Blocker, on the other hand comes with a cool little interface and allows you to very quickly and easily add/subtract Browser Types and Versions to the 'blocked list'.

It also has a 'allow browser to bypass' option. Attached is a quick screenshot of a dummy splash screen that IE Version:  8.0.6001.18702 and lower browsers may see when visiting our website.

Please don't be too harsh on me from a design perspective - the attached took about 4 minutes to put together - and I'm only including it as testament to Browser Blockers ease of use.

EDIT: The Version Blocking - to the level mentioned in the para above - is not working exactly as planned - just yet. I'll let you know how I go... 

I thoroughly recommend Browser Blocker to anyone with a similar desire/problem. It installed happily with PageLines, bbPress and the half-dozen other plugins I'm using. What's more, it just works a treat! 

Regarding the Search Bar in IE9: I've only had about 15 minutes today to re-investigate it, but I am still not having any luck manipulating .searchform or .searchfield for IE9 using the PageLines Browser Specific CSS Plugin (I can modify .searchform and .searchfield beautifully for Chrome & Firefox, but...just not IE9).

Simon, Title and Content Edited as per your request. Please forgive me, I'm from the colonies :-) 

Attached Files

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

Hi there, are you editing the height as well as the padding on the below?

#7 crash

crash

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:43 AM   Best Answer

Hi James, 

yes, I believe that I have been doing so.

But in verifying that indeed I was, I noticed that the subtle 'body.ie9' amendments I had incorporated previously were no longer working either...I thought maybe I'd deactivated the Browser Specific CSS plugin, but I had not.

So I removed the .ie9 from body.ie9 (thus forcing those subtle changes to all browsers, in theory, right?) and checked the results using Chrome. Of course, the changes were there. Put .ie9 back into body.ie9 and they disappear from Chrome, but do not get applied to IE9...it makes no sense to me.

So just now, I deactivated and deleted the Browser Specific CSS Plugin (thinking maybe, just maybe there was some kind of corrupt install), then re-installed it and...hey presto...body.ie9 and .ie .searchform .searchfield CSS mods are being applied as expected. 

I truly have no idea if it was me, IE, the plugin, another plugin, or a mixture of all, but right now, at this moment...it's working.

So I guess that technically speaking you can close this out as solved, but I would like to be able to return to post a follow-up for other readers who may be interested in the final success/failure outcome of the IE Minor/Sub Version Browser Blocking.   

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

That's excellent, I'm glad you've got it sorted either way. I'll mark the case solved but you'll still be able to post so please keep us updated as this will be a useful post for others in the same situation.