Photo
- - - - -

Saving values from custom option "types"

options sections custom options option type

Best Answer bigdawggi , 11 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

So after a long break I was able to get back to this and realized that the field just needed the proper name -- which comes from the $o (option element defined in the `section_optionator()` function.

Example defining option:

$options = array(
  'galleries' => array(
    'title' => 'Gallery',
    'type' => 'gallery_type_ahead',
    'inputlabel' => 'Gallery',
    'exp' => 'Start typing the name of the gallery you want to display.',
    'shortexp' => 'Pick your gallery you want to display.'
  ),
);

And now to output in the section admin

foreach ($o['val'] as $key => $gallery_id) {
  ?>
  <li>
    <input type="text" id="<?php echo esc_attr($o['input_id'].'-'.$key); ?>" name="<?php echo esc_attr($o['input_name']); ?>[]" class="gallery-typeahead" value="<?php echo intval($gallery_id); ?>" />
  </li>
  <?php
}

I believe I had been trying the $oid variable instead of the $o (which I know understand, stands for option).  Baby steps ;)

Now my question is how to validate the entered values, but I'll look around for that.

Thanks for everyones help!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigdawggi

bigdawggi

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Howdy, I'm making a custom section and it needs a type-ahead box that searches for other custom post types to feature in it. The big question is how I save a custom option 'type' values (i.e., not one of the built-in "text", "checkbox", etc).

I've looked through the "pagelines-section-template" code, and watched the YouTube tutorials, but those all give examples of a "text" option type, not a custom one.  

I found the action inside `class.options.engine.php` for outputting the custom option type (below), so that's not a problem:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

...but I'm falling short on finding where to save the option's values.

Thanks in advance!

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

Hi there,

I'll speak to a member of the developer team to see if they can point you in the right direction and come back to you once I hear from them.

If you're looking into making a custom sections, you should look into signing up to our Junto/developer group

#3 bigdawggi

bigdawggi

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Thanks James, I've done that as well and am waiting for their approval of my application.  If there's a way to hasten that process I'm game for that route too ;)

I look fwd to their reply!  Thanks!

#4 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Why not use a dropdown of all available types?

#5 bigdawggi

bigdawggi

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

Thanks Simon_P, but it's not to make available the listing of custom post types; The end result is to provide the user the ability to select multiple individual post type items.  

Example: 

There's a post type of videos

This section would allow the editors to type inside it for the name of a singular video; then click "+" to add another input to search for another video to populate this section with, and so on.

I haven't seen a section that allows for that type of functionality.

The issue I was having (and haven't been able to go back and test more yet) is the saving of the values of those text inputs that will contain the titles/ids of those videos.

#6 bigdawggi

bigdawggi

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:18 PM   Best Answer

So after a long break I was able to get back to this and realized that the field just needed the proper name -- which comes from the $o (option element defined in the `section_optionator()` function.

Example defining option:

And now to output in the section admin

I believe I had been trying the $oid variable instead of the $o (which I know understand, stands for option).  Baby steps ;)

Now my question is how to validate the entered values, but I'll look around for that.

Thanks for everyones help!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: options, sections, custom options, option type