Photo
- - - - -

Could not connect to PageLines as user

connect

Best Answer p3a0d , 04 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

To clarify what my host said they did to solve this issue: "we have unblocked the paglines.com from our firewall"

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 p3a0d

p3a0d

• Members

• 26 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3.8

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

Hi,

Have been advised by email to post here, and set debug mode - which I have done.

Could not connect to PageLines as user "xxxx" showing in Dashboard and all RSS feeds not working. Have tried logging in from different networks here in Edinburgh, Scotland over 3 days from buying Pagelines Pro. 

I was also asked for details of the server's PHP info file, but not sure about that. On my FTP there are a set of files in the directory djmac.co.uk/cgi-bin: php.ini, php4.cgi, php4.ini and php5.cgi. I'm hoping these are the relevant files.

Hope this helps,

Ian

#2 p3a0d

p3a0d

• Members

• 26 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Here are those ini files, but with .ini extension changed to .txt to allow upload.

Attached Files

• Attached File php.txt   41.78KB  1 downloads
  • Attached File php4.txt   41.43KB  1 downloads

#3 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

Ian,

A PHP info file is something created following the instructions here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Make a simple text file.

Include the code provided on that link.

Save the file as phpinfo.php

FTP it to your site's htdocs or html or public_html or httpdocs area (whichever you have).

Point your browser to yourdomain.com/phpinfo.php and you'll see all your PHP related info. 

Simply send us the link when done.

• p3a0d likes this

#4 p3a0d

p3a0d

• Members

• 26 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

Rob,

Thank you for this. The link is:

Now deleted

Best, Ian

#5 p3a0d

p3a0d

• Members

• 26 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:14 AM

Also, it may help to mention the error I received when clicking on the 'Install it Now' button in the Dashboard Store section in response to the message 'You need to install and activate PageLines Sections Plugin' -

Fatal error!

The package could not be installed. PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13215 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

Hi,

Is the fatal error appearing when you attempt to install the PageLines Sections plugin ?

#7 p3a0d

p3a0d

• Members

• 26 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

Hi Danny,

Yes - the fatal error did appear when I used the 'Install' button in the framework, but I downloaded the plugin from the web store and used WP's upload plugin to install it manually.

The error did not appear when uploading the plugin through this route instead.

However, I still get the 'Could not connect to PageLines as user' error even after manually installing that plugin, and nothing appears on the Pagelines 'Store' part of the framework.

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13215 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

Can you provide a screenshot of the PageLines store please.

#9 p3a0d

p3a0d

• Members

• 26 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

Here are the screenshots of all Pagelines Store and related areas.

Attached Files

#10 p3a0d

p3a0d

• Members

• 26 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

(couldn't attach more as forum says that I have exceeded allotted disk space for attachments)

#11 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

I suspect that your PageLines installation was corrupted on installation and the point of break was that plugin.  So, here's my recommendation:

1.  FTP to your site to wp-content/plugins and locate the pagelines-sections folder.  Remove the folder entirely.

2.  FTP to wp-content/themes and locate the pagelines folder.  Remove the folder, entirely.

3.  Go to

and login using your Launchpad credentials.  Locate your primary product (PageLines Framework) and download the zipfile.  Unzip to your local desktop.

4.  FTP the unzipped pagelines folder now on your desktop to wp-content/themes

5.  If you now browse to Dashboard > PageLInes > Store you should see the option to install the plugin again, please try that. You should have no errors.  If you do, then it's a permissions issue and your host has to intervene.

6.  Another option would include a visit to 

and download the plugin-pagelines-sections.zip.   Unzip to your local machine's desktop. Upload to wp-content/plugins.

#12 p3a0d

p3a0d

• Members

• 26 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Hi Rob,

Thank you for that. Followed your instructions - and this time on two different sites with the same host provider.

Same results - the error "Fatal error! The package could not be installed. PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature" when trying to install the plugin. So manually installed again.

But nothing shows up in the store still, none of the RSS feeds work and the same error 'Could not connect to PageLines as user'.

What permissions is it that I need to request my hosting provider allows?

Thanks again for your help, Ian

#13 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Sounds like your server is blocking all outgoing http requests. Contact your host.

• p3a0d likes this

#14 p3a0d

p3a0d

• Members

• 26 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Simon,

Thank you for that - and Happy New Year. Will this definitely be the reason - does my phpinfo show this to be the case? Is there some particular constant/ variable that I need to ask for which was in that php info? Is it on a particular port/ address, etc?

And why would they have set the site like this? Presumably for some security concern: what are the risks of opening this up?

After all, it is only blocking the Pagelines store and RSS feeds - maybe it is worth not having these features and updating manually instead of compromising security?

Sorry for all the questions - I just want to understand the causes, and benefits/ consequences of 'fixing' it.

Thanks again, Ian

#15 p3a0d

p3a0d

• Members

• 26 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Further to above, I looked in the code to see exactly which RSS feeds the Pagelines framework was trying to display, and saw a feed address of:

So I tried that in the RSS widget as a sidebar, and it displays this error:

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at

A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.

It displays other RSS feeds fine.

Does this have any relevance to what my site is experiencing, or a distraction on my part?

#16 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13215 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Simon who replied above, is one of our developers, if he suggests your server is blocking all outgoing http requests and that you should contact your host. The please contact your host, this is not a bug in PageLines but an issue with your server and that is something we can not provide support for.

#17 p3a0d

p3a0d

• Members

• 26 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Danny,

Thank you for your response.

I am not confident to ask for my host to unblock all outgoing http requests without understanding the consequence/ implications of asking for this.

I have for several years run PlatformPro with my host without issue, so I'd like to make an informed decision. I am not contesting Simon's nor your expertise, or suggesting Pagelines has bugs in this respect.

I'd appreciate input from anyone that can elaborate on this for me since I'd rather not do it simply because Simon says.

Thanks again, Ian

#18 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

I'm not sure what's causing that RSS error, but since your blog already has posts, I don't see any reason why the RSS feed couldn't be found.

#19 p3a0d

p3a0d

• Members

• 26 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Hi Catrina,

Thanks for responding about the RSS.

I think I may not have been clear - the RSS feed was to feature content FROM elsewhere on my site rather than feed from my site to elsewhere. I've left three RSS widgets on the site so that you can see how it connects to the 99 Percent RSS feed, but has trouble with the Pagelines RSS feeds - it may be that I am using the wrong feed addresses for the Pagelines RSS feed. I got them from the Pagelines framework code for The Pagelines Admin Dashboard > Updates area to see whether they would work in a RSS widget.

Cheers, Ian

#20 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4985 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

Hi Ian

I've tried to replicate by testing bot the feeds suggested from the Pagelines main site on my test sites and both are coming through fine.

I've looked up the error message you've seen and found numerous posts on wordpress.org which point to the same cause/solution that Simon has suggested. I would advise at least speaking to host and seeing what they can advise on the settings which could be causing this or if they can locate exactly what is causing the problem. They might be able to adjust something without it compromising security to the site.

• p3a0d likes this