8 replies to this topic

#1 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts
  • Framework Version:DMS 1.1.6

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Please add a user editable option for Nav /gradient/border etc

There are controls for editing the basic site colours - having 4 colours options to choose from for the Nav is very limiting and incongruous considering you can change the site to any colour - but not the nav.

(this really should not be down to a plugin) 

2 options (ideally)

1 - user defined gradient, border, shadow and transparency etc

2 - LESS based - light, medium, dark, based on site colours - maybe even have a complimentary set using LESS SPIN angle

SPIN, LIGHTEN and DARKEN would offer a whole range of options

#2 batman

batman

Bat Learning

• Members

• 2162 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Hi paul_t

You can see this section

http://www.pagelines...tions/crackbar/

#3 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hi paul_t

You can see this section

http://www.pagelines...tions/crackbar/

Please read my post (no plugin). This functionality should be part of the framework. You shouldn't have to spend money to do something so integral to site design. Users want powerful, simple options, not hundreds of presets that they have to pay for with additional issue of that functionality being outside the framework.

And  as far as I am aware the plugin doesnt really take advantage of LESS as I've suggested.

#4 batman

batman

Bat Learning

• Members

• 2162 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

Sorry, I believe that was a solution for you.

#5 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

No problem  - thanks for your thoughts

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16982 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

In PlatformPro, you had to individually configure 24 different color selectors, keeping your Secondary & Tertiary elements slightly darker than your Primary elements. In PageLines Framework, we’ve made this easier.

Using color math, PageLines Framework automatically calculates the proper levels for Secondary & Tertiary elements. The calculation is based on the Primary element color that you set. This reduces the number of color options from 24 to 8, making it easier than ever to set up good looking elements that work well together.

I recommend you either use custom CSS, to create your own Navigation or use the CrackBar like Batman suggested.

#7 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

I appreciate what you are saying about the secondary and tertiary colours - but (with respect) - I think you are still missing the point as these colours don't have anything to do with the Nav suggestion?

Having just 4 colours seems very limiting. Having to rely on a plugin or custom coding to go further does again appear to miss an opportunity  to do something more flexible.

Here's one suggestion. (you need to use the 'Orange' menu colour as this overwrites it.)

Call it User HSL Nav.

5 parameters all based on @pl-base (site background colour - although that could just as easily be a user value)

Note: Just a quick experiment. As long as your background colour is not grey (it has a tiny amount of colour)  this will pick up the background colour and produce a nav bar the same colour - or if you enter 0-360 in the spin parameter, it will colour the nav bar with an offset colour from the background ie 180 will give you a nav bar the complimentary colour to your background.

Sat shift: plus or minus % from the background saturation

Grad top and base controls the lightness of the gradient.

@spin_amount: 0;
@sat_shift: 20%;
@rule_darken_amount: 20%;
@grad_top_lightness: 60%;
@grad_base_lightness: 20%;

.navbar.pl-color-orange
  {
    #gradient > .vertical( 

hsl(hue(spin(@pl-base,@spin_amount)), saturation(@pl-base)+@sat_shift, @grad_top_lightness), 

hsl(hue(spin(@pl-base,@spin_amount)),  saturation(@pl-base)+@sat_shift, @grad_base_lightness)   
    );

border-top: 1px solid darken(hsl(hue(spin(@pl-base,@spin_amount)), saturation(@pl-base)+@sat_shift, @grad_top_lightness),@rule_darken_amount);
		.searchform .searchfield
      {
			border: 1px solid darken(hsl(hue(spin(@pl-base,@spin_amount)), saturation(@pl-base)+@sat_shift, @grad_top_lightness),@rule_darken_amount);

} 

}

A user hex value nav would also be welcome.

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16982 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

Like I mentioned above, adding options for custom nav colors sounds easy and not confusing at all. But so was the options in PlatformPro.

The PageLines store, has no plugin at this moment in time in which a product allows users to create a custom color scheme for the navbar. Im sure if one was released it would be a hot seller.

#9 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

I think then we agree to disagree :) 

You have a fantastic framework which prides itself in having many editable features. Yet the most basic requirement to simply control the Nav colours is restricted to a preset of 4 colours or extra coding. That just seems to go against everything that the platform stands for. 

My 0.2c  - The main Nav colour scheme should be controllable in a flexible way without the need for extra code or plugins. 

All the best for the New Year