Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Profiles Section

profiles simon prosser

Best Answer John Lee (Folium Partners) , 25 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Thanks, Rob. Thanks, Simon. Given Simon's note and Rob's suggestion, I ditched Profiles (with much disappointment) and went for the simplest work-around: using Boxes. I like the WP-Boxer plugin, though. Thanks for the tip. Let's mark this closed.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 John Lee (Folium Partners)

John Lee (Folium Partners)

• Members

• 5 posts
  • LocationAshland, Oregon, USA
  • Framework Version:Pro

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

We have two profile pieces found here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

The top two people are generated by one instance, the others (3-across) are generated by the second instance. We have two co-founders who ought to be the top section (as they are here), and the rest of the company in the second section.

We'd like to have these in a particular order. For example, employees coming before the intern, and managers coming before general staff. The problem is that people in the company are not grouped by WordPress user type. We have three admins, one editor, and some authors. These do not correlate to founder status or position in the company so it's of no use to us in Profiles.

What's the secret to being able to show and order users within a single Profiles instance?

If the answer is that we can't accomplish this, any recommendation of another plugin or section we might use would be a wonderful Christmas gift.

Thanks.

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

Hi there,

You try using the 'posts type order' plugin to re-order the custom post types in the users menu.

#3 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

Take that back, just tried that option and it doesn't work for the users section :-(

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

Ok found out, in the users tab, in each users individual profile, scroll down to the profile meta settings. There you will see options to set the profile priority number, which will affect the display order of the profiles. Make sure the user is checked to 'display in profiles' as well.

More info on profiles is available here -

#5 John Lee (Folium Partners)

• Members

• 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for the reply, James. I already had the priorities set. Christensen is 1, Lee is 2. Dzikowski and Robertson are 3. Standifer is 5. Ost is 6.

Here's a bit more info to chew on for debugging. Recall that there are two instances of the Profile, let's call them Upper an Lower.

• Upper is set for showing 2 profiles of any type, no offset, and 2 per row.
  • Lower is set for showing 6 profiles or any type, offset is 2, and 3 per row.

The expected grouping for Upper is:

• Christensen
  • Lee

The expected for Lower is:

• Dizkowski
  • Robertson
  • Standifer
  • Ost

What happens is that Lee and Standifer (priority 1 and priority 5) are in Upper, then Christensen and the others in Lower.

Next, I tried turning off Lower. I changed Upper to be 3 across and to show 3 people of any user type. The results:

• Christensen
  • Lee
  • Standifer

Interesting, so I changed Upper from show 3 to show 2. Result:

• Lee
  • Standifer

No Christensen that time. I've checked, double checked, triple checked the user profile priority settings.

Any ideas for me?

For the moment, I've changed it to be one instance of profiles, 2 across, show all. It's not the design we want and so we'll be very appreciative of any help in getting the expected result.

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

It seems, and this is hardly a scientific or tested answer, that the Profiles, being cloned on the same page is picking up the number of profiles per row from the first instance and not allowing the second, cloned, instance from using any settings you're applying there.

I'm going to report this to our developers. 

Meanwhile, to help you affix a suitable solution, I'm going to recommend you use a different option.  Of course, the choice is yours, but I'd replace our Profiles with

That plugin uses something called "Content Blocks" which are essentially the same as boxes, but have far more capabilities, such as order setting and distinct controls over layout.  The best part is, you can apply them to a page by shortcode.  Each shortcode calls a particular set, as with boxes, so you can place two people in one set, three in another, and one in the last if you like. You may also apply CSS to each individual content block, to achieve the same effect Profiles provides.

I use it on the front page of my own site and while it takes a bit of time to learn, once you do, the plugin is great. Additionally, unlike many plugins out there, this is very professionally maintained and kept up to date by its developer.  There's also an inexpensive Pro edition at codecanyon.net.

#7 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

The section was never really mean to be cloned on the same page. Each clone pulls the same userinfo, so your getting 2 users then 4 users, but they are the same results if you see what i mean.

The priority is there for a sort order, it does not work as a priority between clones.

#8 John Lee (Folium Partners)

• Members

• 5 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:53 PM   Best Answer

Thanks, Rob. Thanks, Simon. Given Simon's note and Rob's suggestion, I ditched Profiles (with much disappointment) and went for the simplest work-around: using Boxes. I like the WP-Boxer plugin, though. Thanks for the tip. Let's mark this closed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: profiles, simon prosser