Photo
- - - - -

Bug (?) Report / Fix - Content Shadow

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 osgzach

osgzach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Hi,

My previous thread was kind of considered "resolved", I think, and I had brought up multiple issues (the primary considered resolved)  but I didn't want to risk posting in a thread nobody might read anymore.  Apologies if I've violated any etiquette, in that regard.

So then,  I had brought up an issue I noticed with the Content Shadow (Site Options: Color Control) feature turned on,  where the outline creating the shadow would extend beyond the  Dynamic Content area.   This is because in the CSS the following is declared:

/* (Per Firebug) */
/* CSS Path:     */  html body.home div#site.one-sidebar-left div#page.thepage
/* CSS Rule:     */  #site #page, #site #dynamic-content {  min-height: 400px;

I tried searching but I could NOT find anything that set the minimum height of the content pad itself,  any changes I made with Firebug kept setting a minimum height for all elements on the entire site (all the way up to the WP admin tool bar, )  so obviously that wasn't going to work.

Then I finally managed to find the CSS code excerp above,  and increased it,  watching the shadow border creep down even further.   Reducing it to a pixel height less than the height of my site's content (obviously) fixed this without any apparent problems.   Maybe it will prove to be unique to my layout design,  but I have found that removing (or in this case overriding with a 0pixel value) the offending code should resolve the problem without any visible impact on other areas of the site template.

My recommendation is that the minimum height value is set too high, and does not account for sites which may have a small footprint on a given page.   This might not be an issue in 99% of the cases where it is noticed, as the page will soon fill with dynamic content and that will resolve the issue -  but it would still remain an issue for sites using static pages that do not have enough content to "push" the  dynamic content area down past the minimum height of the page-shadow.

This is probably only considered a minor cosmetic bug at most,  but as there are still cases where it may impact somebodies site design (possibly mine),  I thought I would mention it in a more direct fashion.

I have attached 2 screens, one showing the undesired behavior, the other showing it fixed.

Shadow Bug

Shadow Bug Fixed

Sorry if this sounds like nitpicking,  but I guess these kinds of things bother me,  and I'm not sure how tall my shortest page will be yet...

#2 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Was a good idea, added a core LESS variable, line height is set with @pl-min-height now. So you can filter the main core variables and change it yourself :)

#3 osgzach

osgzach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

To be honest, I haven't even begun to try to wrap my head around LESS,  so I have no idea what you just described :o

#4 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Well with this new filter, you can do this in your child functions:

add_filter( 'pless_vars', 'my_pless_vars' );

function my_pless_vars( $vars ){ 
    $vars['pl-min-height'] = '200px';
    return $vars;
}

This would change the core LESS variable to 200px.

The fix is in trunk, so the next revision will have it.