• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gokayak1

gokayak1

Advanced Member

• Members

• 77 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

I am making posts using AnyLoop and using the featured images as the thumbnails.

I am having a hard time creating sharp looking thumbnails.

My media settings are set to 150px by 150px thumbnails with proportional accepted.

I have tried images larger than 150px and exactly 150x150.  The later is the best but all are less sharp than the original images.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

has the 150x150px thumb.

has all different sizes as those use the original post image without my resizing them in photoshop.

I know people have sharp images out there so what am I missing?

Thanks

Alan

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

There seems to be ways out there to do it, but they are editing the wordpress core files, which we never advise as changes get wiped on update. 

Have you tried using the 'regenerate thumbnails plugin? That might be an option to improve the size/sharpness depending on the original image. What's the dpi of the original images? Maybe go back to the originals in an image editor like photoshop and use a higher dip so when they resize they'll be sharper.

Apparently wordpress has hooks to improve the image quality of the thumbnails, you could try looking into the hook on this link (although I'm not sure how or if it will work)

All hooks need to be placed in the functions.php of the base theme or the customize plugin, do not enter/edit any core files.

#3 gokayak1

gokayak1

Advanced Member

• Members

• 77 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:39 AM

Thanks James,

I did use the regenerate thumbs plugin.  That was helpful for allowing the thumbs to be proportional but no help on the sharpness.

I am a photographer and thrive on sharp images so this has been bugging me of years.  I don't see myself digging in the core files for this so it will just have to be fuzzy.

When you click on the thumbs and go to the posts you see the images there are sharp (more or less, there not all mine on this site).  I just wish the images displayed as sharp as the the rest of the graphics on the site like the logo and wooden boxes.

Thanks for the post link.  It is good to know that WP is causing th eissue and not me.

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hi there,

I've looked for some other work arounds but unfortunately it seems wordpress downgrades the image quality on thumbnails automatically and the only way to override this is using a coding solution :-( I'd still advise trying a higher dpi image but this will also cause the images to be a larger file, so there's pros and cons.

We'll leave this post open in case any other users/moderators have any solutions which could assist you further  :-)

#5 gokayak1

gokayak1

Advanced Member

• Members

• 77 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for that.  It seems I get the best results by using an exact image size of the thumbnail set in the media settings.  I just wish I could let the thumbs be the original proportions of the images as now I will have to create separate images for the thumbnail area.

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

You could turn the thumbnails off completely in Pagelines>site options>blogs and posts. Then scroll down and turn on 'full post content' on the blog's/posts page. If you place the full image inside each post, it will display at full resolution on the blog page, but as you're displaying full posts, the full text inside each post will also show.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thumbnails