3 replies to this topic

#1 creeksidecommunications

creeksidecommunications

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Hi There,

I have the navigation bar and it works but whenever there a dropdown menu, the parent link no longer becomes a link. Whenever I remove the child pages, the link becomes active. Is there any way to fix this if it does have a dropdown menu? Thanks! Let me know if you need me to explain it more.

Thanks,

Petrus

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

The NavBar uses Twitter Bootstrap and the effect you're seeing was designed by Twitter intentionally to allow the menu parent to open the child list only. If it was linked, it would open the destination link instead of the drop, since the menu doesn't use hover action to open that list.  We recommend that those seeking to use NavBar create a destination link in the child list.

Alternatively, you may also use in place of NavBar the Nav Classic menu via Drag & Drop > Header.

The Nav Classic may be styled as you wish via CSS and uses hover action for opening the child list, therefore the parent links can be linked elsewhere.  It does not, as a default, have the same appearance as the NavBar and it would take some effort to make it do so.

#3 fantasysixpack

fantasysixpack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Rob,

Which menu is considered the nav classic menu? I have added both the nav and simple nav menu and both seem to not allow me to click on the top level menu when there are sub menu items.

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:43 AM

Hi there, classic nav was only available in the Framework. If you're using DMS then there's only the Simple Nav or the Navbar units. Simple Nav doesn't allow drop downs, its just a simple text nav. The navbar doesn't allow parent items to be links due to mobile devices, if someone clicks on the top level to access the drop down using a touch screen device it will automatically take them to the link etc, so they'll never be able to access the sub menus correctly.

You can make a custom menu and add the parent link again into the sub menu.