NearlyJen

Advanced Member

• Members

• 59 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

Hi, 

We are unable to connect to the PL store through the PL dashboard. We are running our own servers in-house, have a large WP multisite install, and were running PlatformPro prior to jumping all over Framework when it was rolled out. We kind of (usually) know what we're doing. 

Manual install of sections and plugins that we've purchase works great. We ftp in with winscp, and all is well. Yes, the sections plugin is installed. We have purchased plugins and sections through the website launchpad, manually installed, happy happy. 

Now we have upgraded to a Plus account and we want those freebies! Snowfall, and Salebar (we SO want to replace HelloBar with that)....but these are only available through the Dashboard --> Store and can not be manually installed. Which would be fine, except we can't get connected to the store. Here is what happens. (Yes, we are connected to our Pagelines account  credentials through Dashboard --> Your Account.) 

1) We browse to Snowfall in the plugins section of the Dashboard --> Store

2) Click "Free Pagelines Plus" button

3) Connection Information box pops up. We enter our FTP info. 

4) We click "Proceed"

5) Connection box closes, page refreshes, no error but nothing at all has happened. No install, nothing. 

We've been round and round with Robert and Catrina, and Jenny on chat (and they were lovely and tried to help). We re-installed Framework manually. We made our file (wp-content and pagelines-sections) owners match. We tested a variety of ports and configurations. Still can't connect to the store through the Dashboard. 

Help? Please? I

Jennifer

#2 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

Having to enter FTP info is not normal at all. You have some type of permission error, no doubt. Usually happens because it cant' write to that directory.

#3 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

You should be able to download from the product page on pagelines.com, if your logged in and are a plus user, it will let you download it.

Yes the FTP thing is a pain, its WordPress' way of getting around bad file permissions. Basically the webserver is running as a different user to you, so it needs FTP information to get in and save the files, this is ok if its setup right, if not its a pain.

If your webserver is 'in-house' wouldn't it be easier to fix this and switch to a better system as mod_php running as apache/www-data/nobody is very insecure.

#4 NearlyJen

NearlyJen

Advanced Member

• Members

• 59 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

Thank you both so much. We are checking permissions now - we didn't even realize that the connection screen that popped up didn't belong there. 

Simon: Actually, you can't download items that are "Free with Plus" from pagelines.com. There is a "Free with Plus" button, and when you click it you are directed to install through Dashboard --> Store. I'm including a screenshot. I am actually not responsible for our servers but if you have a better system that you can suggest, I would love to pass it along to my co-conspirator. Thanks again. 

snow2.jpg

#5 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Ah, busted lol. Yea sorry forgot about that. Its because the files cant be in two folders at the same time on the server. I guess the best thing to do is fix your install im afraid.

Can you install wordpress themes/plugins without FTP info?

#6 NearlyJen

NearlyJen

Advanced Member

• Members

• 59 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

We fixed it! It was because php was running under a different name...working great now.

And yes, that was the odd thing was that we could install themes and plugins through the WP dashboard just fine with my personal ftp info...

Any suggestions to improve security? 

Thanks again. 

#7 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Security of what? Your server or WordPress?

#8 NearlyJen

NearlyJen

Advanced Member

• Members

• 59 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

Well, the server. You mentioned in your first reply "If your webserver is 'in-house' wouldn't it be easier to fix this and switch to a better system as mod_php running as apache/www-data/nobody is very insecure." I'm not the server chick but if there is a way to fix it I'd love to pass that info on...

#9 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Well if its in-house and not available to the outside world i wouldnt worry too much.

#10 NearlyJen

NearlyJen

Advanced Member

• Members

• 59 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Ok, good :) 

Thanks so much for your time! We loved Platform Pro, and love Framework, and now we love our Plus membership. So much love. 

<3

#11 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:23 PM   Best Answer

Click the mark solved button :) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ftp, store