How To Put Comments Below Blog Post

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 giuseppeandrewsweb

giuseppeandrewsweb

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:59 AM

how can i put a comment link below blog posts on the main posts page? here is my blog: 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17967 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

Hi,

You will probably want to use a hook, using the "pagelines_loop_after_excerpt".

If you're not confortable with adding hooks, there is a plugin available in the store that allows you to add hooks to your easily - 

#3 giuseppeandrewsweb

giuseppeandrewsweb

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

would you be able to explain how to use the hook? i'm not a developer and i've been trying to figure this out for days, to no avail. any specific help would be appreciated. 

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

We have a new product called Hooker, available in the Store, that will help you create the hook correctly.  You'll also need the Action Map (which is free) to find the right hook to use.

Inside the hook, you'll need the proper code.   I couldn't say what that is.  However, you can find the proper code most likely from

#5 giuseppeandrewsweb

giuseppeandrewsweb

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

thanks you, but unfortunately none of that makes sense. it's bizarre in the first place that the comments and share buttons are at the top of the post. it doesn't make sense. you want people to read the post and comment, share, etc. after they read, they're already at the end of the post. why have them scroll all the way back to the top? most probably wont. i've actually never seen a blog set up this way. comments and shares are always at the end of the post. it also helps to separate posts on the main blog page. i'm surprised this question hasn't been already asked a million times and a straight forward solution drawn up to give people. like do this, then that. specifically. it would be super helpful and appreciated. 

#6 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

OK, by default the blog 'posts' page only shows excepts with a 'read more' link to the main post page, when you click this your shown the entire post and the sharebar and comments are at the bottom of the post. That is the default.

You have opted to enable the sharebar under the post meta area and when you click the post title to get to the full post you have your sharebar there under the post meta area but also at the end of the post where it usually is.

So what are you asking for? Do you want to add a comments link on your blog page so people can comment on posts without actually clicking on the post and reading it?

#7 giuseppeandrewsweb

giuseppeandrewsweb

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

my posts don't have a 'read more' link, they just post in their entirety on the main blog page. i prefer that kind of flow. i'm asking for a way to put the comments and share link that appear at the top of the post, under the title, to instead appear at the end of the post. 

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17967 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

If your posts are displaying no excerpts, this is due to your settings in Blog & Posts, check the following options Post Excerpt or Summary Handling & Full Post Content.

Once set correctly, you will see the Read more link.

However, you mention you prefer to have the full blog post on your blog, adding comments with this layout is not advised as you blog will become extremely long and depending on the amount of comments you have, viewing the previous or next post would take a long time to navigate to and will most likely cause your readers to become bored and leave your site.

The standard view of a blog page is that it contains only teaser content i.e. excerpts which doesn't display comments. This is the best layout for any blog, if your readers wish to view or post a comment they should view the full post by clicking the read more link or post title.

#9 giuseppeandrewsweb

giuseppeandrewsweb

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

when i said that i want to put the comments and share link below the post instead of at the top under the heading, i meant the comments LINK. not all the comments. that of course would be ridiculous. as i stated i just want to move the LINKS that appear at the top of the post, under the title, to appear at the bottom of the post instead. when you click the comments Link at the end of the post, it will take you to the comments page where you actually enter your comment.

#10 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17967 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

AH OK, I get you, I assumed you meant the comments list not the link.

To do this, you will need to use a hook, if you're unsure how to use hooks, then I recommend the hooker plugin available on the store.

#11 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

Well the comment link is just a shortcode.

So assuming your using the hooker plugin...

add this to pagelines_loop_after_post_content

But of course now the problem is every like button on your fron page just 'likes' your fron page.. so you need some PHP:

Now each like button likes the actual post url.

Of course if you dont have the hooker plugin, you will have to manually add the action codes to your child functions php.

For reference, this code would have added the comments, just in case other people fid this post:

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

Hi Fab, I'm hiding your post here as you posted separately.

#13 lemonstripe

lemonstripe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC
  • Framework Version:2.4

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

I am trying to do the same type of thing, add the [post_comment] to the bottom of the post on the blog feed. But when you add it to pagelines_loop_after_post_content, it actually is on every single page at the bottom. I looked at the action map and cannot see any other option to make a 'meta-bar' go below the post. Which seems so much easier to access the comments after the post than before..there must be a way around this? 

#14 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

Try the hook pagelines_loop_after_excerpt insert. That will add it to the excerpt on the blog page, not the full post.

#15 lemonstripe

lemonstripe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC
  • Framework Version:2.4

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Hi there, But what if you do not do 'excerpts'? Just a regular blog feed? 

#16 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17967 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Hi,

I recently wrote a hooks article for our documentation, this should assist you. It gives you a brief understanding what hooks are and provide a few examples, which work out of the box and are there for you to use to create your own hooks.