Photo
- - - - -

Latest Update Causing Problems On My Site

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 danoah

danoah

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Hello, the latest update is causing problems on my site. 

Before the update everything loaded very fluidly, images would appear almost immediately. 

Now, much of the time images are taking a while to load, often waiting until the javascript loads. The page loads all funky at first too.

I haven't made any changes to my site besides updating PageLines.

My site is danoah.com

Thanks, Dan

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Dan,

I'm looking over your site.  And I do see only a momentary lag in the load time of your ads in the right sidebar.  All the non-ad images loaded instantly.  I'm on Firefox on a Windows machine. 

What else are you seeing? 

Are you using any cache plugins?

#3 danoah

danoah

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

Thank you for replying. I am on a Mac. It is worst in Safari, and was minimal (though noticeable) in Firefox and Chrome. 

I am using W3 Total cache, and I disabled it to test and it immediately made the problem worse in all the browsers.

I should note that the very top image with my logo is loaded dynamically as a random image, and loads instantly. It's all the other images that are having problems.

#4 danoah

danoah

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

Please note that I uninstalled the theme and reinstalled the previous version and the problem went away. The problem was definitely with the upgrade.

#5 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

Dan, the last update was very minor, no major css was affected and no js.

The features only display when the DOM is ready, and that waits til all js is loaded, you are loading quite a bit of js remotely, adverts etc so it waits for that to finish.

Only way I can think around that is to wrap your ads in an iframe so the load independently from your page.

Anyway thats all i can suggest as you have some major caching going on there and we cant really offer any advice while thats on.

#6 danoah

danoah

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:39 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I rolled it back to the previous version which really messed up some other stuff, so I upgraded again and now the problem is there again.

When I rolled it back, it solved the image issue immediately and when I upgraded it again, the image issue immediately returned.

I do not use features on my site. This is all the images in general.

This is definitely a problem that's minor in Chrome and Firefox but significant in Safari.

#7 danoah

danoah

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

Here is a screenshot. This was even after the ads had loaded.

screen-shot1.png

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:43 AM

Hi there, I'm not able to view the image you've uploaded, could you re-post please.

I've checked your site on Pingdom, the longest time taken to load is on the scripts, check the results here -

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#9 danoah

danoah

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hey James, it's at 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I understand that the ad scripts take the longest, but the images should load long before them since I load those just before the </html> tag.

I've pulled my hair out on this. I've contacted my host, CloudFlare, and they both say it is the theme causing the issue.

I've deleted the theme, reinstalled it, disabled plugins, disabled caching, etc. It's fine on the last version of Pagelines, and the issues arise with the latest version.

It seems to only be affecting Safari computers now (including iPhones and iPads).

Many images don't load at all for some users until the page is reloaded.

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

Dan, just out of curiosity, how are you installing the theme? I'm just thinking that maybe the problem is coming from the installation/upgrade process as a result of permissions or some server setting.  Perhaps an alternative method might obfuscate that problem and give you the updated version without difficulty.

#11 danoah

danoah

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:07 AM

I've installed it several times now. First I simply updated it. Then I deleted all Pagelines file/theme, cleared all cache, and reinstalled a fresh copy.

#12 danoah

danoah

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:04 AM

Okay, finally found the problem.

The Mirage feature of CloudFlare and the update do not jive together. The mirage feature does work on the previous version. Weird.

#13 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17919 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Is this issue now resolved ?

#14 danoah

danoah

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:02 PM   Best Answer