Ie Makes Font Look Bolder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jamiewalden

jamiewalden

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

IE is making my font look bolder than it's supposed to. Any idea on how to fix this? Thanks in advance for your help. I'm using Platform Pro.

Here's my site link: http://www.americandatanetwork.com

Attached Files

#2 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

You are using an ancient version of PlatformPro, latest is 1.5.3. Try upgrading first.

#3 jamiewalden

jamiewalden

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

I haven't applied the update yet because it deletes the hook that provides the login button to our apps, but the live preview of the theme update showed the font still appearing bolder, so I don't believe that will resolve the issue. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance for you help. 

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

When you activate another theme like Twenty Ten, for example, does the boldness still appear?

#5 jamiewalden

jamiewalden

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

Catrina, yes it does continue to occur. 

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

Try deactivating cleartype in IE.

If it is ClearType that is causing this, you can disable it in the configuration. It is under Tools > Internet Options > Advanced (tab) > (scroll to) Multimedia > uncheck 'Always use ClearType for HTML'. Click OK and all that good stuff. You will need to restart the browser for this to take effect. ClearType started to become the default in new installations of IE 6 at some point but earlier IE 6 installations had this feature disabled by default. In IE 7, it is on by default or is an innocuous option during installation. It is supposed to smooth out the appearance of characters, like anti-aliasing in a paint or image program. This can make some fonts appear bolder, more legible.