Photo
- - - - -

Question on blog placement

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 markw

markw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

On my site there is a page called blog on the main page. Nornally ferom past experience when you have pages you then put categories in whatever page you want.Well i want categorie within my blog page but i cant do that. I'm confused. when u creat a category and want to list it lets say under "the blog" there isnt an option for it. i go into categories and want to list the category under a parent --which should be "the blog"--but it doesntr list any on tghe pages. I dont get it--this is completely different than any other them Ive used in the past. So if i clicked on "the blog" there wouldnt be anything there unless i typed something into it. i dont know--whats wrong? Thanks!

#2 markw

markw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:55 PM

I guess what im saying is if someone who isnt a geek goes to my site and wnats to lok at the blog--then obviously the would click on "the Blog" to see all the blogs. i wanted to have sub categories under this but i cant. ive never seen a page that couldnt before--so could you explain in a little detail on how to do this for us non geeks. lol thanks

#3 markw

markw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

I forgot here is the expample--http://www.echelonmedia.com/ if you click on blog--you actually see blogs. i dont see in any of those pages where i can do this. Again please explain how to do this. Im on day 5 and going nowhere fast. ive read the documentation but it doesnt cover this. Its simple all i want is to have exactly what eschelon is doing--you click on "blog" on the blue line and it opens to where they have posted blogs. Thanks.

#4 markw

markw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

SORRY HERE IS MY SITE WWW.MWOOLERYMEDIA.COM

#5 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:12 AM

I might have a few solutions up my sleeves, we'll have to pinpoint this thing though.

Okay;

- Here's your blog page:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

| Check

- The categories are in the sidebar where they belong | Check

- Now, the blog page is blank (not good), but before we investigate further, have you actually created any "Posts"? Posts are created from the admin, Posts > Add New from the left menu.

The page will remain blank until you've actually added a post/entry, not a category.

Okay, so let's try this first solution and go from there:

In your WordPress admin, go down to:

Settings > Reading > Front page displays

and select Blog as the posts page.

Thanks, Bryan

#6 markw

markw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:19 AM

Bryan Hadaway that worked--but however i dont want every post in there i just want the option to be able to put the posts in there when i want not every post--if i do--every single post will always be put into the blog page--I want some posts into other categories. After i made that cnage u suggested every post now goes into the blog page--i know i said i wanted the blogs into that page but obvioslly not every one of them--like i wanted to put some into coaches blog only---so bryan how do i do this--i hate to ask all this but this has been the problem from the beginning--i hope i was clear as to what i want. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

#7 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

Hey Mark, This has actually been a very common question recently. Before WP3.0 it was more or less impossible to do this without modifying code or hard-coding links into your navigation, HOWEVER, now we can create menus and links using WP3.0 menus, which is under the APPEARANCE tab. In this way you can create nav items that will link to anything you want: tags, categories, pages, posts... so in your case you can start assigning either tags or categories to your posts and then can create a nav item (under "menus") that filters through and gives you a "blog" page but only for the selected category. If you want the main blog page to be only certain categories then that's slightly different. I'd be able to help if you explained exactly what you need for the main blog page e.g. what specific posts you would like to show.

#8 markw

markw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

Sure thanks. Well lets first take a look at this site here.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

this is there blog page---ok now not every post they have ever made is on this page--they put posts in other categories. But now when i make a post it goes into the "coaches blog" and whatever category i choose. Im happy it now goes into the "coaches blog" but if i make 100 posts they will all be in "coaches blog" and whatever category I choose. Maybe on that site they have the same issue im just not seeing it. See what my original problem was as u can tell from the other posts i made here is that i couldnt get any blogs to go to "coaches blog'. well now it works but now every post goees there. thats the problem. lol So i hate to be a pain but im having issues im not used to--im no expert by any means but this seems to be really diffcult working within this theme--but i really like it--so lets make this work! lol Thanks!!

#9 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:19 PM

Okay so what types of posts do you want in the "coaches blog" can't you just make that a category in itself? If you tell me exactly what you need we can work from there. e.g. what to include/ or conversely what to exclude from "coaches blog"