Photo
- - - - -
Open

Remove Unused Css

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 zouleo

zouleo

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

According to this report

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

114.4kB of 162.5kB of the css-file is not used by the current page.

I understand that some of the css might be used by other users of Pagelines. But 114 of 162 seems to be a lot. I'm already combining and gzipping this file, but I'm thinking it would be great if unused CSS could be removed completely. Would that be possible?

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17966 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Hi,

Well the CSS may not be need on that page but will be on others. However, you're trying to remove unused CSS for performance reasons, but you're using Shared Hosting ?

Running your site through Reverse IP, you habe over 180 websites on the same server, if you're serious about your sites performance then I recommend using a VPS or Dedicated Server.

#3 zouleo

zouleo

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the hint. I will move this site to a dedicated server within a few days.

Now, to the original question, is there anything I or you can do to make the CSS-file smaller?

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17966 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

Unless you are sending hundreds of kb of css then it shouldn't really matter.

As far as I am aware, using a dynamic CSS changer would destroy the caching ability of the browser resulting in higher transfers.

Therefore, I don't think there is anything we or you can do, but I will ask for you and reply here when I have more information.

#5 zouleo

zouleo

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

Thank you.

I was more thinking in the lines that it should be possible to remove old CSS that is actually not used anywhere.

#6 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

Thank you.

I was more thinking in the lines that it should be possible to remove old CSS that is actually not used anywhere.

It is used somewhere, thats why its in there!
Disable any sections you dont use, including the core sections.